C172 possible Roll left-right explanation.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Piperflyer777
Airman

C172 possible Roll left-right explanation.

Post by Piperflyer777 »

As in real planes like the sky hawk, fuel can be un level in each tank. I am 15 and working on my pilots license. I fly with fuel set on both after fueling full before takeoff. Next preflight the left fuel tank has a bit more than the right. Same for the right. I would imagine the fuel getting burned more out of either wing can possibly cause roll left or right. Please correct me if I'm wrong! A2A is the best! :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: C172 possible Roll left-right explanation.

Post by Scott - A2A »

Good point Piper. Even we sometimes get spoofed by our own features.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

N6722c
Staff Sergeant

Post by N6722c »

A2A C172R

Stable, Level flight @ 3500ft. about 100 knots.

Pilot weigh = Co_pilot weight.
Left Fuel = Right Fuel.

Trimmed for level flight.

Plane slowly enters a left bank, that increases to in excess of 45 deg.

Both with Calibrated Joystick, and with only keyboard input.

Even with a heavier Right hand Co-Pilot, plane still wants to increasingly bank to left ( even after entering ridiculously high Dihedral value - which does not seem to make any difference).

Time to start bending some aluminum trims ??
Can the Accusim Mechanic do that :?:
Geoff

jgraddon
Senior Airman

Post by jgraddon »

N6722c wrote:A2A C172R

Stable, Level flight @ 3500ft. about 100 knots.

Pilot weigh = Co_pilot weight.
Left Fuel = Right Fuel.

Trimmed for level flight.

Plane slowly enters a left bank, that increases to in excess of 45 deg.

Both with Calibrated Joystick, and with only keyboard input.

Even with a heavier Right hand Co-Pilot, plane still wants to increasingly bank to left ( even after entering ridiculously high Dihedral value - which does not seem to make any difference).

Time to start bending some aluminum trims ??
I have been seeing exactly the same. I also have tried balancing the plane but get results similar to you.

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

I also have to constantly pull a bit to the right. Considering the realism of this addon I simply thought (and for now still think) this is realistic. :wink: (Not a bug but a feature. 8) ) Maybe it's due to torque...? I am sure A2A will have a good explanation for it. I have to say the tendency to pull to the left is enough to make me use the AP a lot.

N6722c
Staff Sergeant

Post by N6722c »

J van E wrote:I also have to constantly pull a bit to the right. Considering the realism of this addon I simply thought (and for now still think) this is realistic. :wink: (Not a bug but a feature. 8) ) Maybe it's due to torque...? I am sure A2A will have a good explanation for it. I have to say the tendency to pull to the left is enough to make me use the AP a lot.
A simple 2D Pop-up to set Fixed Trims, and pretend that its the Mechanic setting the plane up.
Geoff

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

N6722c wrote: Time to start bending some aluminum trims ??
I get an ever so slight bank to the left, which is actually somewhat normal. You won't notice this unless you go up in a 172, trim it out, and just let it fly without ever touching the yoke. There is a measurable bank even in cruise from the prop. We tend to not realize that we correct this with just the slightest pressure every minute or so.

Try going up high, pull the power all the way back and go into a dive. The plane should track straight.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

I noticed an issue this morning, which I traced back to the fact that I had somehow activated either rudder or aileron trim (Saitek Cessna yoke buttons set up for elevator and rudder trim on one side, aileron on the other...) I mapped another rocker switch available to centering rudder and aileron trim (since there is no such system adjustable from inside the cockpit of this aircraft) to catch any mistaken operations of these buttons (which are in place for other addons)

Just a thought maybe...

A
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Has a slight bank to the left. I have alieron and rudder trim set up on my flight stick, so a little right alieron trim does the trick.

andrew737
Senior Airman

Post by andrew737 »

We have 4 c172's at our club and they are all different!

Fact:

Take a 'Smooth' and 'Calm' day - 3 out of 4 of those planes wander during S and L flight cruising at 105kts with 2300 rpm
Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

robert41 wrote:Has a slight bank to the left. I have alieron and rudder trim set up on my flight stick, so a little right alieron trim does the trick.
The 172 doesn't have rudder trim, has it...? Does that mean you are using an FSX function that's not really in the plane? Or am I missing something?

crum
Senior Airman

Post by crum »

Just a small observation...

A2A C172 doesn't have rudder trim, but underneath it still have active and working default FSX rudder trimmer, and it is NOT CENTERED on plane load. It is set 4 points to the right.

When it's set like that, plane drifts in direction to the right for 1 degree per several seconds. If I reset rudder trim to zero, plane still drifts to the right but slower. With trim set 4 point to the left, plane keeps direction pretty much stable. And I don't see if RPM has any influence on that.

(fuel 100% both tanks, one simmetrical passenger to keep the balance)

Maybe it's done on purpose, not sure. But I believe we don't need to bother about this drifting, until A2A update AccuSim with proper gyro-effects.
Artem Crum
EASA PPL-SEL
LINDA Developer

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”