Color depth / saturation issue on landing lights

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Jwam
Airman Basic

Color depth / saturation issue on landing lights

Post by Jwam »

Hi!

First, I want to thank you very much for this masterpiece addon. I never thought I would have so much pleasure flying a Cessna 172 again on FSX.

But here is what I get during the night with the landing lights. The light on the ground is very pixelated and the colors are very strange. It sometimes goes green or purple, and it looks very odd in action. Ground texture is from REX, but it does the same (or even worse) on other textures.

Is this normal?

Best regards,
Last edited by Jwam on 05 Sep 2013, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Color depth / saturation issue on landing lights

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

are you running in 16bit colour rather than 32?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jwam
Airman Basic

Post by Jwam »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

are you running in 16bit colour rather than 32?

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis,

Nope, that's what I was thinking as well at first, but my settings are 1920x1200x32

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

Unfortunately this technique works this way. In Dx10 mode blending is much better.

Jwam
Airman Basic

Post by Jwam »

Michal - A2A wrote:Unfortunately this technique works this way. In Dx10 mode blending is much better.
OK Mike!

Yes I tried everything from deleting my FSX.cfg and resetting my NVInspector profile, but no luck.

I can understand that's how it is supposed to work. There is no perfect product! But yours is satisfying me fully apart from this little flaw.

Thank you very much for your quick support!

N6722c
Staff Sergeant

Post by N6722c »

Its a result of the design of FSX's lighting system.

The "LANDING LIGHT" is just turning up the brightness of a portion of the dark scene.

The scene is already dark, so it only has a few levels of Black, between absolute black, and say a very dark grey. That is the only information in the scene.

If part of that scene has it brightness turned up, there is no new information added, just those few dark levels are are amplified up the brightness scale. This leads to the banding, and the color corruption.

It always has been a failing in FSX.

Taxi up to a brightly colored painted aircraft at night, with light off, and you see is a grey shadow.
Turn on your lights, and you see a Brighter Grey shadow. You will not get the vivid colors you would see in daylight, because the information is not there when FSX renders a night scene.

Problem in FSX.. no so much a problem in X-Plane ... maybe hope in P3D someday.

That being said, Shockwave/A2A aircraft lighting is an amazing improvement in FSX at night.
( especially when you look up and see other flying plane's strobe light & Nav lights, many miles away)
Geoff

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Dang, I was sorta hoping A2A was going to build the landing light system into the .mdl file like the Lotusim L-39 and Realair Lancair Legacy. Dang it. :|

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Hobart Escin wrote:Dang, I was sorta hoping A2A was going to build the landing light system into the .mdl file like the Lotusim L-39 and Realair Lancair Legacy. Dang it. :|
Uhh, they did.. You can see it in the screenshots right here in this thread, and also this pic from the official pics thread:

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

Hobart Escin wrote:Dang, I was sorta hoping A2A was going to build the landing light system into the .mdl file like the Lotusim L-39 and Realair Lancair Legacy. Dang it. :|
It is the same system. Just under certain circumstances it will show banding and colors with increased saturation.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”