Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibration

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
torwal8
Airman First Class

Re: Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibra

Post by torwal8 »

Ahh, this has been a problem long plaguing the use of toe brakes on my rudder pedals. Thanks so much for this.

spacejunkee
Staff Sergeant

Post by spacejunkee »

Found the fix for me, it's the "Clear Calibration Utility" found at the below link for 32bit or 64bit OS.
http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_softw ... 20Utility:

After running this app, my controls (Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Pedals) have never worked so good.

My apologies for assuming the problem was with the C172, I had thought my controls were working ok. Well, they were horrible compared to how they are now and the C172 Trainer is such a pleasure to taxi around.

My steps for getting this working. (I'm Win7 64bit)

1. DL that 64bit utility
2. Run Clear Calibration Utility (Will recognize and give the option to delete every game controller calibration that it finds)
3. Start FSX and go to Settings/Controls
4. Adjust sensitivity and null zones to 100 and 0 respectively. Did not calibrate pedals. You can try if you want but they work great without it.
5. Adjust sensitivity and null zones for the yoke and then calibrate.

Hope this works for those still having problems.
PC SPECS: Win 11 PRO | AOC 34" Ultra Wide Curved |
Intel 13700KF CPU | G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 6800 2x16GB 34-45-45-108 |
ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti OC | 2 x Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2TB Gen 4 X4

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

One to check out!

Thanks for the information

A
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

Nico081
Staff Sergeant

Post by Nico081 »

Have not checked that tool yet, but thanks for that idea.

As there still is the need to set FSX sensivity sliders and zero zones , for the many users of FSUIPC it is not a solution. For developers i think it is difficult to compare ther aircrafts to 3rd party tools. But we are talking about FSUIPC and Ezdok for example. These are very well used by advanced simmers.

If you fly the known high quality addon planes at the market, i think you can not deny oneself FSUIPC. If a customer uses Accusim, Majestic, Dodosim, PMDG, Marcel Felde at one time only having one single FSX controller setup, that is disagreeable.
Additional some addon planes provides their own controler tools, that is very inconvenient for customers.

I only see FSUIPC as an universal weapon.

-> Delete all FSX (+slew axis) axis assignments within FSX for all controllers
-> Connect all different Controllers you want to your computer
-> Do not install any driver for the Controllers
-> Open FSUIPC and assign whatever you want to every single paint of an aircraft, as you like.
-> Another advantage: Input reactions are much more crisp and undelayed as it is by FSX itsself - check it out.

Our all problem seems to be controller mechanical deadzones (especially pitch axis) until the potentiometer starting to send a signal. Maybe Scott did a great job simulating yoke deflections exactly like the real C172 without having that deadzone in the pitch control like we have in our controllers.
If we get the point our poti gives a signal, it overshoots. What we can do is putting a massive slope by FSUIPC that calms that overshootings. But we get back the overshoot at excessive controller inputs (fast and massive inputs) when the slope again catches in inverse direction due to its "S" curve.
P3D v3.2
Addons: FSG2010, REX4 Direct+Soft Clouds, Hifi ASN, PMDG, Dodosim, A2A accusim all, Katana4X, Majestic, ORBX, Fly Tampa, DRZEWIECKI DESIGN, FSDreamteam, Flight Beam,..,..

romoni
Airman

Post by romoni »

Hello!

I had problem with brage, too but I found that if I set parking brake on and off twice via CH Yoke button - I use CH Products Yoke and Pedals - I can taxi without any problem...
Rolf

stevebridgland
Airman

Post by stevebridgland »

I am having the same problem with the brakes on the 172. I have tried to set my CH Pedals as suggested making sure that the sensitivity is max and properly calibrated but I am still getting the problem with the brakes sticking. Its not a problem I get with any other A2A aircraft or any one else's products. The warnings for brakes or differential brakes in the bottom left corner are staying off. The 172 will roll after applying full throttle but it does take a while and a taxying is very difficult.
Is there going to be a fix for this please. Its a fantastic aircraft apart form this bug.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

An update is coming out any day. Here is some info:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 07&t=36285

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

stevebridgland
Airman

Post by stevebridgland »

Thanks Scott.
I saw the update info on the other general forum just after I posted my request.

corcyrus
Airman Basic

Post by corcyrus »

I had the same strange behaviour, which was described in an other thread: Pushing the pedals fast to the bottom, the visual response in the VC was a very short time full brake, then a stuttering release. Pushing them softly to the bottom, they worked better, but I had no full pressure. A new and proper calibration did not change anything, even with the 1.022 version.

Then I deleted the toe brakes axis definitions and their calibration data in my FSUIPC.ini, defined both axis' in the FSX control menu and suddenly everything was pretty fine. After that, I reverted my axis definition back to FSUIPC and the brakes did not work properly any more. Back to the FSX calibration, everything was OK again.

Best regards
Stefan.

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Have you checked the FSUIPC sticky thread?

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=35833
Michael Krawczyk

corcyrus
Airman Basic

Post by corcyrus »

You mean "...find 'BrakeReleaseThreshold = 75' and set it to 0."? Sure! This changed nothing. Only the deletion of my FSUIPC toe brake definitions gave me perfect working pedals.

Best regards
Stefan.

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

corcyrus wrote:You mean "...find 'BrakeReleaseThreshold = 75' and set it to 0."? Sure! This changed nothing. Only the deletion of my FSUIPC toe brake definitions gave me perfect working pedals.

Best regards
Stefan.
I set the above setting to =0 and it cured the problem of both brakes not coming on when I pressed both brake pedals. What was happening most oft the time was just one brake would apply. My brakes are working perfectly now.

Tom

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

Installed the 1.03 update today and still can't move the C-172.

I'm using CH Rudder pedals with toe brake and GoFlight TQ6 and CH Yoke.

I've tried every suggestion in this thread and then some. My C-172 will not move, not even in FSX default airports (like KSEA). I gotta admit, this IS getting pretty frustrating (and I'm a very patient guy) ... I don't have a single issue with any of my hardware with any other Default FSX or 3rd party aircraft.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but clearly whatever you folks are doing with USB input device data, it isn't working well. Dare I say you seem to grasping at straws to fix this problem or can't positively identify the problem.

If A2A support want to contact me, PM me and I'll get you my Email and we can try to figure this out. Otherwise, I'll just have to uninstall, sadly.

Rob

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

Since I recalibrated the brake pedals in FSX (not FSUIPC, there they remain uncalibrated) some time ago, I have had absolutely no problem with the brakes or rolling behaviour of the C172 other than the uphill areas of one of the MCADesigns airstrips. It even behaves exceptionally well on OrbX, where many were having issues with sticky grass taxi/runways...

1: Do you have the CH rudder pedals' axes defined in FSX or have you defiuned the axis in FSUIPC? Do you calibrate in FSX or use the FSUIPC interface?
2: Have you modified the ground friction parameters (either using the FSUIPC default or the modifiable LUA script)?
3: Do you have a copy of the small brake test programme that was available here to see if your brakes are releasing fully?

Andrew
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

alehead wrote:Since I recalibrated the brake pedals in FSX (not FSUIPC, there they remain uncalibrated) some time ago, I have had absolutely no problem with the brakes or rolling behaviour of the C172 other than the uphill areas of one of the MCADesigns airstrips. It even behaves exceptionally well on OrbX, where many were having issues with sticky grass taxi/runways...

1: Do you have the CH rudder pedals' axes defined in FSX or have you defiuned the axis in FSUIPC? Do you calibrate in FSX or use the FSUIPC interface?
2: Have you modified the ground friction parameters (either using the FSUIPC default or the modifiable LUA script)?
3: Do you have a copy of the small brake test programme that was available here to see if your brakes are releasing fully?

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I don't use FSUIPC to calibrate anything prior to using the C-172. The only time I looked at FSUIPC Joystick tab was because of the C-172 to fix a positional problem with the flaps (this problem seems to change with each C-172 update). CH rudder pedals are defined by FSX and have been working flawlessly in every other Aircraft.

I have NOT modified ground friction parameters.

Win 7 64 bit OS device calibrations for the CH product pedals reports correctly over full range. I don't have the "small brake test programme" - link?

An item worth noting, I have a spoiler lever defined on my GoFlight TQ6, when moving the spoiler lever this causes the C-172 to nose up and down when on the ground (not moving) ... the C-172 doesn't have spoilers so why is it responding to the spoiler axis? My hunch is your C-172 is not understanding the various input axis correctly and this could be the cause of the "sticky" rudder pedals, and flaps issues.

I applaud your efforts to try to go around FSX core device axis processing, but clearly it is perhaps not the best approach for everyone, maybe provide a more traditional option for those users like myself that are literally "stuck" ;)

Cheers, Rob.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”