Engine start quite easy?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Engine start quite easy?

Post by Erlk0enig »

Hi,

I found that the engine starts even at -2°C just with mixture forward and turning the key (with some throttle). No priming, no fuel pump needed. Airplane is used, with 970 hrs.

Best Regards,
E.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

kaboki
Airman First Class

Re: Engine start quite easy?

Post by kaboki »

Yeah I noticed this too, at first I used the fuel pump and primed but I found out it is not neccesary at all(no need for the fuel pump to start). Is it suppose to be like this?

voth
Airman

Post by voth »

does not work for me.

don't know your fsx settings but keep in mind if you are not using auto C&D your engine might be already on a higher temperature from your saved default flight
- or even worse - you don't have saved an c&d default flight. you indeed would not need to prime the engine then.

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

C&D situation, otherwise it would make no sense. You have to push the throttle quite forward. It will catch after some turning.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Alec246
Airman First Class

Post by Alec246 »

Would be cool to have an engine that sometimes just won't start. YOu end up having to stop using the starter, wait for it to cool, prime again and try another time.

Corkery
Airman First Class

Post by Corkery »

Odd 'cos I have the opposite problem :-) My engine won't start without priming even when I've been for some ccts and the temps are in the green!

Cheers
Tony C
Cheers
Tony C
Rig: Intel i7 4790 @4.4Ghz 32gb 2133Mhz RAM; OS (Win 7 Prof 64); Nvidia TITAN xp and FSX + P3DV4 on SSDs.

kaboki
Airman First Class

Post by kaboki »

Corkery wrote:Odd 'cos I have the opposite problem :-) My engine won't start without priming even when I've been for some ccts and the temps are in the green!

Cheers
Tony C
Do you use full rich mixture when trying that? I can make it start from Cold and dark without priming, I just give a little throttle, set mixture to full rich and then start.

Corkery
Airman First Class

Post by Corkery »

I follow the checklist so the mixture is at idle/cut off with the throttle cracked. I then prime, turn the starter and advance the mixture when the engine catches. This can take a couple if tries when cold but also needs one prime when warm which I believe it shouldn't. In the thread I started others aren't having this problem.

I'm going to try cracking the throttle a bit more to see if that helps.

Cheers
Tony C
Cheers
Tony C
Rig: Intel i7 4790 @4.4Ghz 32gb 2133Mhz RAM; OS (Win 7 Prof 64); Nvidia TITAN xp and FSX + P3DV4 on SSDs.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”