Autopilot behavior

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
theflash
Airman Basic

Autopilot behavior

Post by theflash »

Dear A2A Team.

Let me first thank you for bringing us (again) a very enjoyable FS Addon. During my first flight today I recognized an autopilot behaviour of which I am not quite sure that it is the way it should be. (Be advised: I have not read all of the manuals for the avionics yet!) My Cessna is currently not equipped with a gps, only the VOR/DME receivers are equipped. Now to the (on my mind) strange behavior: The autopilot is selected in NAV and is following the VOR reception quite nicely but as soon as I make changes to the heading pointer on the compass the aircrafts starts to follow the heading pointer like in HDG mode (NAV still selected an indicated) and after a while comes back to the old VOR intercept. Is this the way it should be - my guess is that the HDG Bug on the Compass should be ignored by the AP system as long as NAV is selected. It is only a minor point on the great aircraft but I think it is worth asking.

Regards,

Jan.

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Autopilot behavior

Post by some1 - A2A »

It's not a bug, it's a feature. The autopilot does not know your NAV course, it uses HDG bug as a reference. Thus the heading bug always needs to be set to the same setting as OBS, that's why you see flashing HDG reminder on the autopilot display when you engage one of the nav modes.

Don't worry, this behavior confuses even real pilots: http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-486606.html ;)
Michael Krawczyk

theflash
Airman Basic

Re: Autopilot behavior

Post by theflash »

Got it. :) As said - I need to hit the books a little more on this avionics package :D .

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”