Home cockpit - DME info

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
dagoston93
Airman Basic

Home cockpit - DME info

Post by dagoston93 »

Hi,

I am designing a C172 home cockpit based on FSX and A2A C172, I am building the hardware and writing the software too.
I am currently working on the software that connects the hardware and FSX.
I am using Paul Henty's FSUIPCClient.dll to interact with FSX. (in C#)
I got stuck with the DME.
I managed to find out that if it is set to RMT mode it uses the DME of the station tunded to NAV1.
So i can get the distance and GS from the default FSX offsets.
But when i set the DME to FRQ mode and tune a station there it doesnt use either the default nav1 or nav2 as far is could figure out.
I was checking the list of the LVars but nothing referring to that.

Is there a way to get that piece of data somehow?

Thank you very much for any help or advice.

Best wishes,
Agoston

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Home cockpit - DME info

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Agoston,

I'm afraid that the frequency of the DME set when it's in 'FREQ' mode isn't stored in a variable so can't be read.

Best regards,
Nick

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

This function is not present in fsx/p3d.
With standard offsets you can only get directly the distance, speed to vor and time to vor, of the tuned freqs in nav1 and nav2

I supose A2A have their own code to be able to make this function work.
It happens the same with the Comanche, that has the "hold" function in the Narco NCS 812.

This does not mean that you can't get the function work. But you will have to program everything. It is not easy, but it can be done.

Arturo.

dagoston93
Airman Basic

Post by dagoston93 »

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I am thinking to program it myself.

My idea is that when the knob of the frequency is rotated in 'FREQ' mode i set the frequency independently from A2a's then look up somehow the fsx NAVAIDS then check if there is any within a certain range with the given frequency. If there is, I can get its latitude and longitude and then calculate the distance.

Does that sound correct?
And what is the range i should use?

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

It sounds correct for me.

I will make a narco 195 DME for my home cockpit, which has the "hold" function.
In my case, I will store the position of the last correctly tunned ndb (you can verify with a signal variable). So, if there is signal available, I store the ndb position and compare with the aircraft position. It is easier than yours.

About distance, it depends on lots of factors. Altitude, orography, weather... etc. Not easy to simulate all of these things. Something about 30-90 miles can be believable, in the worst and best conditions. I'm not a pilot or an expert on this subject. So try to find info.

Arturo.

dagoston93
Airman Basic

Post by dagoston93 »

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, i knowthat it depends on quite a few things but didnt even have a general idea about best and worse case.
I think i will just stay somewhere between the middle of the range.

But if i would want to make it really perfect, i guess it would be easier to just check the colours of the pixel of one of the pixels of each LED segment of the DME on the screen and just determine if it is lit or not and send that info over to my hardware.

Haha it sounds like a wild idea.
Dunno how much performance it would take though.

Best wishes,
Agoston

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”