Undocumented feature (simulated elevator force)?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Simicro
Senior Airman

Undocumented feature (simulated elevator force)?

Post by Simicro »

Hi,

I bought the C172 (and Bonanza) for P3Dv4 last week and believe I have the latest version of Accu-sim.

I "discovered" that there is a zone not labeled where you can set the "simulated elevator force":

Unless I misread, I did not find a reference to it in the "Controls SHIFT+3" section pages 94-95 of the manual.

Maybe in a future patch/version A2A can document this feature and label the lower left zone of the SHIFT+3 menu with a "ELEVATOR" or "ELEV. FORCE" or "ELEV." for clarity for the users?
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Undocumented feature (simulated elevator force)?

Post by ClipperLuna »

I'm not 100% sure myself, but as no one else has replied yet, I'll take a stab at it. I *think* it rigs your controls so they are sensitive to the rate at which you deflect your stick, rather than just where you deflect it to. So, if you set it to 0, you'll get the same amount of up or down elevator at any given stick position no matter how quickly you move the stick there. However, if you set it higher, the amount of elevator you get will vary depending on how quickly you move it. The idea being the higher rate takes more force. That's how I understand it, but if someone knows better, I'm curious myself.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

I think it just lowers the control response at speed, to combat overcontrolling for some users that felt the plane to be too twitchy, never used it though.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

It is elevator sensitivity for different joysticks
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Hmm - seems to be improving my overly sensitive pitch issue - haven’t tested enough to draw any real conclusions yet...

Seems this has been added to all the GA stuff...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

As far as I understand it’s not to counter specific controllers sensitivities but more like to simulate the effect that the airplanes speed has on control forces. The faster you move the harder you have to work to move the control surfaces on a aircraft without hydraulic support. So if you set the simulated elevator force to 100% this effect will be simulated.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

There's some discussion of the feature in this thread which you may find helpful Simicro. :) I believe this setting was introduced some time after the initial release, which is why it isn't covered in the manual.

Maybe we can look into redesigning the 2-D panel to make the function of this control a bit more apparent. I'll check with ROB.

Thanks,
Nick

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

I read through the post Nick linked to but I still couldn't quite figure out what exactly this feature does; that is, how exactly it affects the elevator. As I understand it now, it puts a delayed response into the control, but one that is proportional to your aircraft speed (faster aircraft, more delay). Is that right?

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Thanks Nick, for the link.

I must confess that I did not understand well either.

Thanks all for your interest in this thread.
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”