Cherokee driver just got a 172! What I've noticed so far...

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
simnettpratt
Airman

Cherokee driver just got a 172! What I've noticed so far...

Post by simnettpratt »

My all-time favorite FSX aircraft is the A2A Cherokee, and I have the most hours in it. I like the fact you can get a real 65 for about $40,000, and if you check controller.com often enough, with an IFR GPS and even sometimes an autopilot. This I can fantasize about owning someday; aint never gonna own no Lear Jet.

I just got the Skyhawk, have had three whole flights so far, and here are my initial first impressions:

1. While I LOVE good manuals, and thought I had the start sequence down, that little red knob down by the fuel selector valve is pretty important. Grrr. The battery guys love me though.
2. What the heck is with this engine note?? It's HIDEOUS! I thought this was supposed to be a really similar engine! Yuck. It's like your little brother going eeeeeeeee in your ear, two octaves up.
3. Wow, I just thought I could sightsee perfectly fine with the low wing. Wish I could hi-hat left as quick as I can turn my head. Awesome. Still, am lying 90% of the time when I tell ATC 'Traffic in Sight', sure whatever.
4. Thought I'd just take off and figure out the autopilot in the air. This was incorrect. Let's see, get the manual - 102 pages, great. Wait, the good stuff starts at page 61. Now I get to figure out sections like this:

Ok, autopilot a work in progress. At least this thing is WAY more powerful than my old S-TEC, and pre-select alt too! Fancy Schmancy.
5. First landing a chirper, great, second a bouncy castle, oops, third gusty and missed the little grass strip altogether. At least I didn't have my imaginary girlfriend with me.

Overall, I'd say I hope I can overcome the engine note I hate, but if any of you are sad the new plane is another piston single and not a jet or a twin, don't be: this 172 flies completely differently than my Cherokee, though I'd still rather real world pay $40K for the Piper, and not $90-100K for a real 172R. A2A's ruined me for any other planes - I try to fly them, but am just annoyed the whole time at what they lack. I think the full MANUAL is one of the best things A2A does, though the sneaky weenies do leave out some stuff for you to discover on your own.

Why is my plane brok - oh, hypoxia. Guess we won't be flying over the Rockies after all, dear :)

chadryan
Senior Airman

Re: Cherokee driver just got a 172! What I've noticed so far

Post by chadryan »

Are you selecting the headset on when you fly? Might help some with the engine note

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Cherokee driver just got a 172! What I've noticed so far

Post by ratty »

I learned to fly in Cherokees and never warmed to the 172. It always felt somehow fragile to me. A2A have captured the aircraft perfectly, which is why I almost never fly it. Completely subjective, I know.

As to the hat switch pan rate, there are parameters you can adjust in the "Cameradefinition.002" section of Cameras.cfg (backing up the file first, of course).

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”