Where is the autopilot static source opening located?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
blackbird7
Airman

Where is the autopilot static source opening located?

Post by blackbird7 »

I've been flying A2A's C172 for quite some time now, but something in the preflight checklist has always eluded me. It mentions to check the autopilot static source opening for blockage (if installed). However, I can't seem to figure out where it would be located on the aircraft if it is was indeed installed, and a general web search hasn't proven fruitful. Any ideas on if A2A's C172 has it and where it would be located if modeled? Thanks. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Where is the autopilot static source opening located?

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's rather a good question blackbird. :) The fancy 2-axis KAP 140 installed in the A2A Cessnas would indeed have its own static source, but I'm not sure exactly where it would be located. Inside the cabin I think (a bit like the alternate static source) rather than on the outside of the fuselage like the main static port.

I'm pretty sure blockage of the autopilot static source isn't modelled by A2A though.

Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It is on the outside and looks just like the static port you normally check during the walkaround. It may be shared with the instrument static port, not sure on the 172R. On the 172S, there is only a single static port.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

There is a separate static port for the autopilot controller, located just behind the baggage door on the left side of the fuselage. It is not connected to the 'regular' static system.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”