My first 'Holy Cr*p!' moment in any Accu-Sim a/c

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
MadRobbie1
BDG

My first 'Holy Cr*p!' moment in any Accu-Sim a/c

Post by MadRobbie1 »

Hi all,

Guess it had to happen one day - but glad it happened on the ground taxiing to parking barely one minute after exiting the active after a 1.9hr flight from Manston to Shoreham (UK).

I've had the C172 since April 2014. I've not been a heavy flyer, but i've kept with a brand new airframe with all my accu-sim aircraft. Never any issues in any of them apart from sucking the battery dry in the '172 trying to start her up in the early days. Got roughly 50-odd hours in my original C172 until a system crash and reinstall put paid to the logbook in the new year (and everything else that was not backed up). Ah well! One reinstall later and the '172 is the first accu-sim back on FSX.

For some reason I baulk my original trend and opt for a used kite. F-GOAP with 4494.6hrs on the airframe and 1172.7hrs on the engine.
A couple of yellow items on the first inspection: left flap worn (loose but not dramatically so compared to the right), right brake worn (no noticeable pull though), air filter and fuel leak. As they're all yellow I opt to keep an eye on them. My first test back in the cockpit was just a start-up and ground run. Again, the fuel leak and the air filter advisory wasn't showing anything abnormal on the instruments or on the post-engine test hangar inspection....so into a flight (Manston to Shoreham). All good and now 4496.7hrs on her. Post flight inspection shows no change.

Next flight, Shoreham back to Manston. Finish with 4498.2hrs on her and an advisory on the spark plugs being a little fouled. No signs of any fuel loss from the tanks despite her sitting idle for about a month.

This evening out for another trip (roughly a month since the last). Again Manston to Shoreham. Preflight inspection came up clean. Again, no visible loss of fuel (or oil) since last flight. Flooded the engine on starting, but following the checklists from the manual we got over that problem. Cleared the fouled plugs in the run-up. Off I went - keeping a steady 2100rpm with 110kts at 2600ft. Good VFR weather if a little bumpy. Sailed along quite merrily. Got to Shoreham and set up for a landing on the grass strip (07). I kissed the ground so gently I don't think I even bent a single blade of grass. Pulled off the active, idling at 1000rpm, got my parking instructions, switched off any unnecessary electrics and started on my way without even thinking to look at the T&P's......suddenly <whoomph!>, black smoke and flames everywhere. Mixture ICO, fuel off, master off and ignition off, thump down on the toe brakes (I was travelling downwind), doors open and quit the flight!

Two things came to mind: 1) how quickly it went from good to bad, and 2) barely 180 seconds earlier I was still airborne on finals.

I've just re-loaded a flight and gone to the hangar. Absolutely every item is 'red'. Airframe hours are 4499.2, but engine hours have gone.
Did she just completely burn out...?

Accu-sim - just awesome! :D

Cheers,
Rob
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

All A2A aircraft, Accufeel and Aircraft Factory Corsair/P-51/Anson.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My first 'Holy Cr*p!' moment in any Accu-Sim a/c

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It could have been just a rare sudden failure, we do have them in the sim but of course they are more rare than diamonds so very few users will ever experience them. Glad to hear your's all went wrong on the ground :lol:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”