This was in the preflight?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

This was in the preflight?

Post by AbstractArtist »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1323867513

as you can see in the picture I have a little dent, which I don't know what it means but just got done flying 3.6 hours on it

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: This was in the preflight?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Where is the so called dent i cannot see it, that picture is telling you to check the hinge of the aileron for security prior to flight , these pictures do change , i have had an elevator trim tab hinge worn , so look carefully at these pictures , what i found on one after flight check was one end of one off the hinge pins was missing , it was ok on preflight , they should have a slight bend to prevent them comming out , mine was not bent at one end after the flight .
i do the preflight checks both before and after each flight , so do not take these pictures for granted , trust me they change as things ware out.
Also on air intake check for rags in inlet left by an engineer it happens , on my comanche after a gravel strip landing , i suffered a cunk missing from the prop , also check your preflight docs are in the pocket on righthand side of cockpit , you will also note on every flight the pens will move about , or even missing , these are the little details A2A throw at you , enjoy learning the A2A way of flight , they are the best aircraft you could ever have, i have the following A2A aircraft , and i love them all.
C172/182 , PA 180/250 , T-6 , Connie , B377 , B17 , P40 , P47 , P51 Spitfire all with accusim , and the BF109 , F4U1 non accusim.
regards alan. 8)

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

The dent is on the second picture and below the between the third and forth little black things shown!

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Those preflight pics look normal to me. If there is an issue, they would show a disconnected hinge. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That is a bend in the aileron bottom skin that allows clearance for the control linkage when the aileron is deflected downward.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Precisely as Oracle says. An old trick: if possible, compare to the other side! :) (To be fair, I have no slightest recollection if the aileron mechanism was symmetrical in 172R, but I'd guess it is.)

-Esa
Last edited by AKar on 08 Mar 2018, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Oracle427 wrote:That is a bend in the aileron bottom skin that allows clearance for the control linkage when the aileron is deflected downward.
In other words: It is supposed to be there :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Here full walkaround for C172 with example normal/abnormal condition.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Every now and then seminars are held with pre-flight parties where an A&P and some willing victi... er pilot lends out his airplane to be rigged with numerous issues.

These are fund to attend and it is quite a challenge to detect and report on all the issues that you find. Some can be related to issues with paperwork, mechanicals or foreign objects.

It is great when you can experience this with different types of aircraft. The A2A images are spot on and I hope to never see most of these more serious ones IRL.

IRL, of the ones I can recall... I have had water in the fuel, missing screws on inspection plates, missing chafe buttons on the flaps, a small crack in a flap track support, way too many cracks that required stop drilling, broken ground bonding straps or static wicks, broken cowling shock mounts of unfastened camlocks, a loose wheel pant, a fracture in the prop leading edge wear strip on a composite prop, a malfunctioning pitot heater, a variety of failed lights, a tumbling AI, a cabin air vent scoop that suddenly failed open in winter. Fuel leaking from a rotted fuel line in the wing root, noted as blue stains on the cabin door, a bird nest in the cowl flap area and also in the tail cone. Last but not least not quite preflight, but still on the ground "morning sickness" on startup that turned out to be a sticking exhaust valve.

A thorough pre-flight is critical!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

One early morning, my preflight inspection revealed the air filter to be completely missing. When I notified maintenance, they reported that a 100 hour inspection was completed 2 days prior. A pilot missed it, and flew the aircraft for 5.5 hours the day before my discovery.

Another habit which needs to be instilled, is the "post flight" inspection. This is most often completed when accomplishing other duties related to securing the aircraft, and in the A2A version, I move around the aircraft, individually attaching chocks and tie downs.. and make sure doors and control lock are secure. Oh! And the pitot tube... I think I forgot to install that last time!

EDIT: Nope.. it's on.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Oh don't get me started on post flight stuff I find on my pre-flights. :)

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Oracle what do you mean on your preflight post flight

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

None of this is sim related.

I don't own my own aircraft, so I used to rent, and now am part of a flying club. As I am not usually flying the airplane consecutively there will be one or more pilots who have flown it before me.

Sometimes, you find things that get overlooked like light switches, cowl flaps, mixture or throttle, doors unlocked, pitot cover off. It's not that common, but it is annoying when all those things are mentioned on the club checklists.

Leaving off covers in springtime and fall is really bad because birds will start nesting inside the cowling or tailcone within a short time. They can build a substantial nest in a few hours and that can result in jammed controls or an engine fire. I've seen a fire from a nest. Then you also must consider the accelerated corrosion resulting from bird droppings sitting on the aluminum and other parts.

Good habits and consistent use of the checklists is really important. So if there is anything to take away is that those habits start from DAY ONE even in the sim!
!!

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Eugene Kremlev wrote:Here full walkaround for C172 with example normal/abnormal condition.
Thank you very much!

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

why do I have inop on a nav/gps switch. It's on the right one. Please help

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”