Throttle Friction Lock?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Alky
Senior Airman

Throttle Friction Lock?

Post by Alky »

I don't get the the throttle friction lock, where is it and how do you adjust it. The image of the panel in the manual doesn't list it and not being a real world pilot, I have no clue.

I'm having some trouble with the 172 and the 182 in getting them off the ground without crashing. The manual says to take off with full throttle. Does that mean run up to full throttle and then release the brakes, or gradually go to full throttle.

Thanks for any help. :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Throttle Friction Lock?

Post by AKar »

Alky wrote:I don't get the the throttle friction lock, where is it and how do you adjust it. The image of the panel in the manual doesn't list it and not being a real world pilot, I have no clue.
It is on the base of the throttle control. You'd rotate it to prevent the throttle from creeping in a real thing. Obviously, no use in the simulator and therefore not simulated.
Alky wrote:I'm having some trouble with the 172 and the 182 in getting them off the ground without crashing. The manual says to take off with full throttle. Does that mean run up to full throttle and then release the brakes, or gradually go to full throttle.
Except for very short field takeoffs, it is not necessary to hold the brakes when increasing the engine power to maximum. Be smooth but prompt.

-Esa

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

AKar wrote:It is on the base of the throttle control. You'd rotate it to prevent the throttle from creeping in a real thing. Obviously, no use in the simulator and therefore not simulated.
Ahh, ok. The graphic representation of the throttle looks much like the lock on the old 60's semi trucks to hold the rpm at a high idle. I"m a retired trucker, I should have made the connection LOL.
So a big part of the the manual is about the real plane.
AKar wrote: Be smooth but prompt.
-Esa
I guess I need practice then. It's a lot like what I'm doing but the plane lifts off the ground and immediately tries to turn into the dirt. :(

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Don't forget to add more right pedal when leaving the ground during the take off. In airplanes with a lot of power this effect is greater.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Alky wrote:I don't get the the throttle friction lock, where is it and how do you adjust it. The image of the panel in the manual doesn't list it and not being a real world pilot, I have no clue.

I'm having some trouble with the 172 and the 182 in getting them off the ground without crashing. The manual says to take off with full throttle. Does that mean run up to full throttle and then release the brakes, or gradually go to full throttle.

Thanks for any help. :)
Gradually go to full throttle.
Throttle friction locks (real airplane) shouldn't be used at any time the aircraft is not in cruise flight at altitude. Using one on take off can actually be dangerous which is why I always recommend one hand on the stick or yoke and the other on the throttle for take offs.
In the sim, the friction lock is really not of any use at all so we don't deal with it here at A2A. The manual however, being pertinent to the real aircraft can very well mention that a throttle friction lock is installed in the aircraft by showing it and mentioning it.
I believe that the friction lock might be the only thing available to the real aircraft not available in the sim. I'd have to study the manual closely to confirm this but I think this might be correct.
Sorry if this was a bit confusing. We might even consider mentioning something about the lock in future manuals.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”