Landing Lights in C172

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
jjaycee
Airman Basic

Landing Lights in C172

Post by jjaycee »

How do I turn off the landing lights? I try but even with the cabin switch for them turned to OFF they are constantly on as i fly, day or night.
Can i initially remove them from the aircraft.cfg, and if so which are they please.
Thanks.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Landing Lights in C172

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

That is definitely not the normal way of working for the C172 landing lights. Could you please give us more info about your sim set up, and what is the sim type (FSX, FSX:Steam, P3D or P3Dv4 nowadays)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

jjaycee wrote:How do I turn off the landing lights? I try but even with the cabin switch for them turned to OFF they are constantly on as i fly, day or night.
Can i initially remove them from the aircraft.cfg, and if so which are they please.
Thanks.
No don't do that.

jjaycee
Airman Basic

Post by jjaycee »

The sim is P3D v4 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Saitek X52. I have assigned key/button to turn landing lights on and off but it only turns one light off, so I am left with a landing light constantly on. I don't know if this is suppoed to be realistic but it certainly looks odd to have a landing light on during a bright day.
Just want to turn the both off if possible.

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

Are you sure you are not talking about the taxi light remaining on? Two different things.

Viele Grüße | Best regards,
Oliver

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Oliver Branaschky wrote:Are you sure you are not talking about the taxi light remaining on? Two different things.

Oliver
Yep, as Oliver says, you're confusing the landing light with the taxi light - same housing.

You need to modify your operating procedure:
Generally, when the landing light goes on the taxi light goes off, and vice versa. Landing light will normally be extinguished when leaving the runway, switched on when entering - and often for in-air use in the region of the airport, while the taxi light is used exclusively while on the ground. So it follows that in general switching one ON means switching the other OFF.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes it does look like you are turning a landing light off but leaving taxi light on.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jjaycee
Airman Basic

Post by jjaycee »

You are correct i am confusing the 2 sets of lights. However what i am not seeing is no taxi or landing lights off when flying, especially in the daytime. I appear not to be fully up to speed on the intricacies of the planes systems and operation.
A suggestion as to what I need to do to ensure I have no Taxi nor Landing light shining in daytime flight would be appreciated. It maybe a response like " switch them off " ! My problem is that I do not see the landing light switch off automatically after take off, hence I use a button/key to do so. Are you saying that by doing that I am therefore automatically enabling the Taxi light? I want both off.
Sorry for my ignorance, but would appreciate best advice on this.
Many thanks.

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

Well, the obvious answer would indeed be to "switch them off" :-D

Simply click the taxi light switch in the virtual cockpit. It may be hidden behind the left hand yoke, which you can remove by clicking on it.

Oliver

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The pilot is responsible for turning the lights on and off. There are no automatic functions that will turn the lights on and off on the ground or in flight.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes you as pilot in command must control the lights. So just turn them off from the cockpit or map a button for the lights as you already have with the landing light.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

jjaycee wrote:You are correct i am confusing the 2 sets of lights. However what i am not seeing is no taxi or landing lights off when flying, especially in the daytime. I appear not to be fully up to speed on the intricacies of the planes systems and operation.
A suggestion as to what I need to do to ensure I have no Taxi nor Landing light shining in daytime flight would be appreciated. It maybe a response like " switch them off " ! My problem is that I do not see the landing light switch off automatically after take off, hence I use a button/key to do so. Are you saying that by doing that I am therefore automatically enabling the Taxi light? I want both off.
Sorry for my ignorance, but would appreciate best advice on this.
Many thanks.
What software are you using to assign functionality to switches? Default key commands DO work, but only if they are NOT programmed through intermediary software that is not intended for P3Dv4.

The other thing that might affect this is if you have NOT set lights to pilot control via the sims GUI.

Finally, lose the `automatically` mindset - this is an old GA plane with none of the gimmicky automaticness. As others have indicated YOU turn the lights on, YOU turn them off. Taxi and Landing lights are independently controlled so turn one on, turn the other off - switch position is UP for ON, DOWN for OFF.

Lets simplify things: Show content of Prepar3d.cfg so we can verify you as pilot are in control of the lights. I've installed at least 10 P3Dv4's and I truly do not remember whether the sim default setting for pilot controlled lights is off or on.
If you don't want to copy and paste the whole thing you can open Prepar3d.cfg and simply verify this line is exactly as shown here:
[REALISM]
ManualLights=True

If it says False, then change it as above (it's only the same thing as ticking the box in the user interface, but let's be sure)

Do this with the sim off.

Next, launch the sim, select the C172, power it up and simply confirm the lights - both of them - will switch on and off by using the mouse on the switches.

Once we have that information we can move forward.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”