C172 vs C182

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
semreh
Airman Basic

C172 vs C182

Post by semreh »

Hello hope it is right place to ask this question, if not please forgive as I'm starting to understand how this great community works :)
I'm want to start my journey with more complex and and advance planes in my flight hobby so only direction was to come here(I'm interested n small GA aircraft's).
Today I will purchase my first one, and would like to ask for advise of you guys which one is better in yours opinion C172 or C182?
Maybe have other suggestions.
Thanks for all help.

AirKevin
Airman Basic

Re: C172 vs C182

Post by AirKevin »

Isn't the difference between the two just a matter of size? The Cessna 182 is bigger, so it's got a higher take-off weight and it looks like it can fly a little farther. I guess the question is which one do you want. I picked the 172, but that was only because my first time flying an actual plane was with a 172.
Captain Kevin

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The 182 has a constant speed prop and cowl flaps so you have a few more steps to take when making power changes.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

NO size is not the only difference.

If this is your first A2A aircraft, and/or you are a newbie to the world of flight simulation the 172 will serve you better.

IMHO.

The 182 is a different aircraft, albeit one in very similar clothes to its smaller brother. Aspire to it for later.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

semreh wrote:Hello hope it is right place to ask this question, if not please forgive as I'm starting to understand how this great community works :)
I'm want to start my journey with more complex and and advance planes in my flight hobby so only direction was to come here(I'm interested n small GA aircraft's).
Today I will purchase my first one, and would like to ask for advise of you guys which one is better in yours opinion C172 or C182?
Thanks for all help.
You can't be wrong either way, that's the good news ;)
You can have a look at the manuals, if that helps you choose. They're really well made and introduce the aircraft at the beginning, that should give you a more precise idea of what is different. As it has been said above, the 182 is a little more complex and powerful (and costly IRL), whereas the 172 is traditionally used for learning. But it doesn't make it any less interesting than the 182.

There are many great Youtube videos by A2A on the 172 Skyhawk, for the 182 you'll have to look for other people's review. One has been made by flightsim481, this guy makes deep and very interesting reviews, I can't recommend them enough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gD3wzJZGPo&t=2490s). There's another one from him with the 182 Skylane and constant-speed props, so you can see what to expect with this extra functionality.

EDIT: my mistake, there's also one on the Skylane module by A2A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4gWmXwD-I) - and another one of the real aircraft.

Oh, and I don't know what sim you have, but just to make sure: the 172 is already available for the new P3Dv4, the 182 will follow shortly.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

semreh wrote:Hello hope it is right place to ask this question, if not please forgive as I'm starting to understand how this great community works :)
Thanks for all help.
There are differences between the two aircraft. The obvious difference is of course the more powerful engine constant propeller combination and all that involves. Another more subtle difference is the handling qualities. The 182, being heavier and larger, handles like the larger aircraft it is. Basically all this means is that trim becomes more of a factor in the 182. Cessna being Cessna, you can fly either one well and flying the 172 well will mean you will be familiar with the basic handling qualities of the 182.
I would say based on what you have posted that the 182 would be the logical choice for you. It will give you what you are seeking in the way of the aircraft in which to enter the world of complex flying.
Have fun and enjoy the experience either way.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”