Left Aileron Hinge Binding

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
bbuckley
Airman Basic

Left Aileron Hinge Binding

Post by bbuckley »

I had a great training experience tonight flying from KSFO to KOAK on the Pilot Edge network. About halfway through the flight I couldn't get any left aileron control deflection. After declaring an emergency and safely landing using rudder for left lateral control, I checked into the maintenance hanger and it said I should have done a pre-flight and that the left aileron hinge was binding. I did do a Shift 8 pre-flight as always but I didn't notice anything different in the pics of the aileron hinges. Did I just miss it? Is there actually a different pic to catch the hinge binding?
Thanks!
Bruce
(BTW RW commercial pilot and fly C172 regularly)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Left Aileron Hinge Binding

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes there will be a difference in the picture and it is subtle, just as it likely would be IRL. You should see the hinge out of alignment with the pin missing or partially out. At least that is how I found it once.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

bbuckley
Airman Basic

Post by bbuckley »

Thanks. I tried going back (with the C172RLog.dat.bak files) to see what the hinge pic would look like misaligned or binding but no luck. I think I know what to look for IRL.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I know what I saw when it was damaged in sim. Thankfully, I've never had it fail IRL. I like my money in my wallet. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Bruce - it might be considered cheating a bit, but .bmp images of the various possible control surface linkage defects can be seen in the C172's 'panel' directory if you're curious. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

bbuckley
Airman Basic

Post by bbuckley »

Nick M wrote:Bruce - it might be considered cheating a bit, but .bmp images of the various possible control surface linkage defects can be seen in the C172's 'panel' directory if you're curious. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
Ahhh... I consider it "pre-flight training". It'll make me even more aware on a real pre-flight too.
Thanks,
Bruce

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”