Engine priming and engine start

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
andrewayad
Airman

Engine priming and engine start

Post by andrewayad »

I know this may sound dumb but I cannot seem to start the engine on the C172. I tried following the checklist. I am trying to start the engine at a temperature of 15 C. I turn on the electric fuel pump and mix full rich then cutoff after fuel flow stabilizes. I do this with only the battery switch on and the mags on both. When I engage the starter, i enrich then release it and the engine wont start. May someone please post the exact steps in details. I watched the development and tried following the checklist in the manual with no success.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew Ayad

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Engine priming and engine start

Post by Piper_EEWL »

It sounds like you're doing most of it correct. :wink:
But at the end I'm not quite sure. Once done priming with the mixture in idle cutoff turn the key to start. Once the engine catches and starts running on it's own move the mixture to full rich. It sounds like you let go of the key to soon!?

Also did you check the hangar if there's anything wrong with the plane? You got fuel and oil in the plane (shift+4 menu)? And you have the fuel cutoff valve (red lever above the fuel selector) turned to on?

If you can't get it started at all try to use the auto start feature in the shift+3 menu. If the engine start then there's nothing wrong with the plane.

Hope this helps
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

andrewayad
Airman

Post by andrewayad »

I checked the maintenance and everything looks perfect. I try to keep holding the key and advance the mixture to full rich but without luck. I have the latest Accusim update.
Andrew Ayad

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Did you try autostart?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

andrewayad
Airman

Post by andrewayad »

Autostart using Control + E starts the engine just fine. The thing is that I want to start the engine realistically. I checked that I have enough fuel and enough oil in the aircraft.
Andrew Ayad

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok. I was just trying to figure out if there was something wrong with the plane. But if it starts on autostart it's fine.

I would suggest you try playing with the priming times a little bit. At 15C I would just try to prime a little more than you usually do and see if you can get her started. If you feel
Like you primed to much go to the hangar and see if the engine is flooded. This way you should get a feel for the priming. How far do you crack the throttle before startup?

The fuel injected IO-320 takes some getting used to but once you be got it figured out it'll be more easy.

andrewayad
Airman

Post by andrewayad »

I crack the throttle just a little bit. Maybe holding the key in the start position and not releasing it doesn't allow the engine to start. I am not sure exactly to be honest.
Andrew Ayad

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

No holding the key is actually required till the engine catches. If you don't hold the key the starter is disengaged and the engine slowes down immediately. If you release the key before the engine catches (fires) it will just stop turning.

Just play a little with the priming times and open the throttle a little more maybe. If you play around with it I'm sure you'll get it going!

andrewayad
Airman

Post by andrewayad »

I try to keep holding the key but the engine for some reason doesn't catch. I think this is something on my behalf and not the aircraft or the developer.
Andrew Ayad

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I think so too :wink: Sorry. Did you try with more priming? And or more throttle?

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

What i do is Master on, Fuel pump on, Full Rich for 5 seconds, Mixture cutoff, Throttle %30, Crank 10 seconds, If it dosnt catch go mixture full rich another 3 seconds, Cutoff, Crank 10 seconds. Usually takes no more then 2 tries even when its very cold out :) Here is a quick video i just did for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlAayI ... e=youtu.be

andrewayad
Airman

Post by andrewayad »

I will try today again and let you know what happens with me.
Andrew Ayad

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
On A2A main web page , there is some videos made by scott , i think there are 3 videos covering the 172 , you might spot something you are missing (omitting to do).
regards alan. 8)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

My guess would be that you are overpriming/flooding.

I start (sim AND real world) by turning on the fuel pump and then pushing the mixture lever in steadily but quite fast (winding in the real aircraft) until fuel flow touches the 5gph mark... Immediately go back to idle cutoff and turn off the fuel pump.

Then start and push mixture to full rich as soon as engine catches and release starter.

Works for me every time in sim and for real.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

andrewayad wrote:I checked the maintenance and everything looks perfect. I try to keep holding the key and advance the mixture to full rich but without luck. I have the latest Accusim update.
You might be advancing to full rich too soon. Wait for the engine to catch before you do that.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”