Engine priming and engine start

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
mlb406
Airman

Re: Engine priming and engine start

Post by mlb406 »

Killratio wrote:My guess would be that you are overpriming/flooding.
From my experience with the 172, this is correct - you are keeping the fuel pump/mixture full rich on for too long when priming.

I believe the original version required 3-5 seconds of priming, but after an accusim update, which obviously forgot to change the checklist, it was moved to a more realistic 1-2 seconds, IIRC.

Hope this helps,

Max

Eseem
Airman

Post by Eseem »

A mistake I used to do early on is to crack the throttle way too little. Try to push it in more like 30%-40%, as mentioned above.

BusheFlyer
Airman

Post by BusheFlyer »

I have to say, I find the a2a 172 is much less forgiving than the real aircraft with an IO360 for starting. Having owned one for some years it was generally easier to start cold than the a2a version. Hot starts however were a real PITA at times. In the real aircraft 1 inch of throttle was usually enough, in the a2a it needs a bit more than that.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I guess I'll revive this thread again from the dead... :roll:

I had the similar experience with my C172 recently after not flying it for more than 20 days. Hangar mechanic noted that, then I could not start it regularly ( at 35C ) The engine behaved as if flooded, but did not show in the hangar. (Same results with C182 at same airport and temp)
I have tried with T6 - flooded the engine on purpose ( same outside temp 35C ) - hangar confirmed and then started it as flooded with throttle full open and mixture out.
My question is the GA hanger showing when the engine is flooded? :shock:

(FSX Acceleration with update 4_13_2017 )

(Happy 4th of July to our US friends :wink: )

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”