Mini screens gone

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Canders
Airman First Class

Re: Mini screens gone

Post by Canders »

Clean uninstalled, reinstalled from fresh file dl'd from A2A website, simconnect run again, still no panels on any of my A2A planes. Just as before; black box the size of the panel shows for a split second the first time I try to open it up, then nothing after that. No black box each time, nothing. Each time I try to open a different panel for the first time, the black box thing happens. Again, when I look at the instrument panel pull down, there is a check mark next to the panel I'm trying to open. This is really starting to get frustrating as these are my second favorite planes next to PDMG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Do you have FSX Acceleration or FSX with SP1 and SP2 installed? It sounds like the FSX sim might not be patched to the latest version.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

Oracle427 wrote:Do you have FSX Acceleration or FSX with SP1 and SP2 installed? It sounds like the FSX sim might not be patched to the latest version.
I have Acceleration. I've been running it for several years and just now started having this issue. I did notice that after I loaded the Orbx FTX all the sliders on the Graphics page on the left side were fully to the right. Figuring that those settings were maxing out my graphics, I reduced them down to anywhere between 50 and 75%. No help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Canders.
when you did the clean reinstall , did your panel files end up the same as your screen shot on page1 of this post , if so try renameing the .cfg files , by adding on the end .cfg , without this on the end of the files the aircraft and program will not see them.
the ( panel ) should be panel.cfg
the (panel_default) should be panel_default.cfg
exctra down to file
panel_RXP_duel should be panel_RXP_duel.cfg

These files have been renamed by something , maybe that orbx sceenery install altered these names somehow , or a windows update may have corrupted some files , it should not have happened, but stranger things happen at sea so they say.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Alan,

It just looks like that machine has the option to hide file extensions turned off. An evil eviiiiilllll feature of windows. :(

The file extensions are there because the computer is recognizing them as CFG files.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Oracle427 wrote:It just looks like that machine has the option to hide file extensions turned off.
Indeed - and renaming the panel file so that it becomes "panel.cfg.cfg" is the last thing the OP wants to do! :wink:

This issue crops up so frequently that it would be good if there was a systematic way to come up with the cause. I wonder if the XML components within the sim could be the culprit in this case? I'm afraid I've never been able to reproduce it, even when I've encountered problems with SimConnect.

"Differential Diagnosis!" as Dr House would say... Stat'!

Nick

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

Oracle427 wrote:Alan,

It just looks like that machine has the option to hide file extensions turned off. An evil eviiiiilllll feature of windows. :(

The file extensions are there because the computer is recognizing them as CFG files.
Right. It's doing that because I have Notepad assigned to read cfg files.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That isn't what drives that behavior.

In Windows 7 you can turn this off by going to the Tools menu in Windows Explorer.
Folder Options...
"View" Tab
Untick "Hide extensions for known file types"

This does not affect file type to default program associations. That is managed in the Windows Control Panel.

Either way, I don't think this matters in this particular issue you are having, but I have struggled to understand why hiding file extensions is a good thing. :)

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

Let's not stray from the original topic....

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
If the computer is hiding file extensions like you say , then why is .dll showing on the top two files , surely they would be hiden as well.
This is why i suggested the .cfg be add to the other files , as they do not seem correct to me.
Also canders notepad by default is the symbol at the begining of .cfg files , as thats how they can be edited , mine are the same.
Regards alan. 8)

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

Well, now I'm doing a system restore to a point before loading Orbx. I also noticed that my son had installed and then uninstalled the FSX SDK in an attempt to fix an issue with Airport Designer. So hopefully, (pray, pray!) this will fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

Well that didn't help. I guess the next step is to completely uninstall all of my A2A products since they're pretty much useless anyway since I can't ever refuel them again. It's about 10 things to include several World of Air Power planes.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Canders - before you reinstall any A2A products, try inserting your Acceleration disk and using the 'repair' option which should be available.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

the install and then uninstall of the SDK is probably the culprit here, it was essentially downgraded and corrupted your FSX. You will need to either reinstall FSX and update or run a repair to try and save the fsx install and get it back to SP2/Acceleration standard. A simconnect reinstall I would also recommend.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Canders
Airman First Class

Mini screens gone

Post by Canders »

"Repaired" FSX...now it won't even get past the opening screen before stopping! Oh well. Time for a complete washing and getting rid of the 90% of the
planes I don't even fly anymore, completely starting from scratch! Hope this works!

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”