Is there an elevator trim reset in Prepar3D?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
mikeglaz
Airman

Is there an elevator trim reset in Prepar3D?

Post by mikeglaz »

In Prepar3D I notice there's an aileron trim center, a rudder trim center, but no elevator trim center. Am I just not finding it? Basically, whenever I hit the throttle on my A2A Cessna 172 and it reaches 70 knots the plane takes off by itself - which takes out all the fun of taking off. I notice that if I trim the elevator all the way down before take off this doesn't happen. But I don't want to do that every time I fly.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Is there an elevator trim reset in Prepar3D?

Post by DHenriques_ »

mikeglaz wrote:In Prepar3D I notice there's an aileron trim center, a rudder trim center, but no elevator trim center. Am I just not finding it? Basically, whenever I hit the throttle on my A2A Cessna 172 and it reaches 70 knots the plane takes off by itself - which takes out all the fun of taking off. I notice that if I trim the elevator all the way down before take off this doesn't happen. But I don't want to do that every time I fly.
Sounds very much like you are relying too much on the trim letting the trim determine what happens with the airplane.
On takeoff, if you are not sure where to set the tirm from a weight and balance calculation, just set it at the neutral mark. The main thing to remember about trim is to NEVER relax the yoke during a takeoff allowing the trim to determine when the plane rotates into flight. Fly the airplane with the yoke. If there is ever a question between the yoke and the trim as to what you want the airplane to do, use the yoke then set or reset the trim.
Dudley Henriques

mikeglaz
Airman

Post by mikeglaz »

How can I tell what my trim is currently set to? And how do I set it to the neutral mark?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

mikeglaz wrote:How can I tell what my trim is currently set to? And how do I set it to the neutral mark?
In the 172, (you are flying our 172 I assume?), the pitch trim indicator is a scale on the lower front beneath the panel. There is an index scale there. Set the index in the middle of the scale for neutral trim.
DH

mikeglaz
Airman

Post by mikeglaz »

In the 172, (you are flying our 172 I assume?), the pitch trim indicator is a scale on the lower front beneath the panel. There is an index scale there. Set the index in the middle of the scale for neutral trim.
DH
When I have the flaps retracted and the trim set to the arrow between the words "Take" and "Off" it still takes off at 60 knots. Then it keeps pulling up until it stalls. And in Prepar3D v3 the joystick calibration is greyed out.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

mikeglaz wrote:
DH
When I have the flaps retracted and the trim set to the arrow between the words "Take" and "Off" it still takes off at 60 knots. Then it keeps pulling up until it stalls. And in Prepar3D v3 the joystick calibration is greyed out.
AS far as flight is concerned you never allow the trim to rotate the aircraft on takeoff. You FLY the plane with the yoke.
This being said I'm not familiar with the P3D settings but it sounds strange your settings are grayed out.
I'd check further into this as a possible issue.
DH

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Mike,

Which propeller do you have fitted in your installation of the 172? It was noted recently in this thread that fitting the 'S' equivalent (180 hp) prop in the maintenance hangar will have quite a pronounced effect on the pitch behaviour during take-off, much as you describe. In this case, adding a bit of nose down trim prior to take-off should help to reduce the forward yoke input needed. However, you definitely shouldn't need to trim the nose "all the way down" unless there's a problem somewhere.

With the standard (160 hp) prop, the tendency for the nose to rise during take-off will be much less pronounced so neutral trim should work fine. :)

Nick

m_disco
Airman Basic

Post by m_disco »

mikeglaz wrote:In Prepar3D I notice there's an aileron trim center, a rudder trim center, but no elevator trim center. Am I just not finding it? Basically, whenever I hit the throttle on my A2A Cessna 172 and it reaches 70 knots the plane takes off by itself - which takes out all the fun of taking off. I notice that if I trim the elevator all the way down before take off this doesn't happen. But I don't want to do that every time I fly.
Why are you waiting till 70kts? You should be rotating at 55. You may want to review the takeoff section of the manual.

mikeglaz
Airman

Post by mikeglaz »

With the stock propeller it rotates at 70 knots. With the 172s prop it rotates at 63 knots. Are you saying it's normal for it to rotate on its own?

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

From the checklist in the 172...

NORMAL TAKEOFF
1. Wing Flaps — 0°-10°
2. Throttle — FULL OPEN
3. Mixture — RICH (above 3000 feet,
LEAN to obtain maximum RPM)
4. Elevator Control — LIFT
NOSE WHEEL (at 55 kias)
5. Climb Speed — 70-80 KIAS
6. Wing Flaps — RETRACT
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

mikeglaz wrote:Are you saying it's normal for it to rotate on its own?
Yes indeed. If you get a few moments, have a read of that topic linked above, particularly Scott's post here.

Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”