C172 AutoPilot HDG failure

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
jonl60
Airman

C172 AutoPilot HDG failure

Post by jonl60 »

I have just updated my C172 to the latest update from version 1. With Autopilot on and HDG and ALT set in level flight.

When I change the HDG setting on the Compass the aircraft initially turns towards the new HDG setting but then turns away in the opposite direction for a while then turns back nearly to the HDG setting then away again. This continues with the turns getting more and more pronounced.

Before the update the AutoPilot worked according to the manual.

Anyone else experience this? And is there a cure. I have tried updating again but it just says it is up to date.

JonL

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: C172 AutoPilot HDG failure

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hiya Jon,

A few users have reported similar behaviour associated with low frame rates in the sim (see here for a recent example).

Any idea what sort of FPS you're getting? I think if it's much less than about 20, the custom autopilot algorithms which the A2A guys use can struggle a bit.

Nick

jonl60
Airman

Re: C172 AutoPilot HDG failure - SOLVED

Post by jonl60 »

Nick, Thanks for replying. My frame rate is just touching on 20 most of the time but I have seemed to have solved it.

I deleted the update directory, as advised in several other threads, then reinstalled the update. That seems to have solved it, for now.

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: C172 AutoPilot HDG failure

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, sounds promising! :) Another thing to keep in mind is that the autopilot lateral modes depend on the turn coordinator, so if it's not working (if its circuit breaker has tripped for instance, which I believe is modelled) you'd also experience a failure of the autopilot HDG mode.

Cheers,
Nick

jonl60
Airman

Re: C172 AutoPilot HDG failure - SOLVED

Post by jonl60 »

Yes I checked all the breakers had not tripped. OK there.

Jon

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”