Few Gauge/Window Reflections?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Republic DC-9
Airman

Few Gauge/Window Reflections?

Post by Republic DC-9 »

Hi there -

As a week-long owner of the gorgeous Cherokee for P3D, I thought I'd spring for the C172 as well.

And its wonderful - EXCEPT that compared to the Cherokee (or even Alabeo stuff), I'm not noticing a lot of really shiny, "glassy" looking gauge reflections?

Maybe a little trace of something in the windscreen in terms of schmutz around the edge of the side windows and that's it?

So I'm womdering if I need to change a setting in P3D v3 somewhere to get shinier reflections - or switch something on?

Or is there a "mod" of the files that a user has done that increases reflection? The exterior paint etc shines like crazy. Maybe a Nvidia setting?

Thanks

Steve

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Few Gauge/Window Reflections?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Steve,

I don't think there's anything wrong with your settings. It's just that the A2A Cherokee was developed after the Cessna 172, and I suspect they reworked the rendering techniques and artwork in the interim. There are supposed to be subtle window reflection in the 172 (that's what the "c172_c6.dds" file is for), it's easiest to see them against a featureless sky whilst in a bank. In the Cherokee these reflections are certainly more pronounced and the gauge glass also reflects internal objects like the upholstery and fire extinguisher.

Cheers,
Nick

Republic DC-9
Airman

Post by Republic DC-9 »

Ok thanks Nick....that helps.

Its a gorgeous aircraft, I'm finding it more difficult to land than the Cherokee surprisingly (keeps floating way up when flaring) - but Practicing is fun!

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes the other thing is the high wing. There's a lot less light getting into that pit for reflections and what not compared to a slightly more open low wing.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The only time I have experienced glare in high wing aircraft is at dawn and dusk. At thjose times, the panel is difficult to red if the sun is off to the side. The glareshield does a good job when the sun is overhead.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Interesting point about the high vs. low wing thing when it comes to reflections in the cockpit chaps. :)

Steve - if you haven't already, make sure you run the latest Accu-Sim update after installing the C172; it incorporates quite a few tweaks to the flight model. After a while you should get used to the slightly finer pitch control than is needed with most add-ons though.

Cheers,
Nick

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I was always a "5 knots fast, 10 feet high" guy at our airfield, because it is subject to quite high windsheer rates. I found that in the 152' the Super Deccy, Tiger and others it worked well.

When it came to the R, you just had to accept that, more often than not, you could read a small novel before she settled.

:)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

lars667
Airman

Post by lars667 »

Out of curiousity, how does this floating characteristic compare to the 172P's characteristics?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

More severe because the aircraft has more inertia than the older models.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Anawake
Airman First Class

Post by Anawake »

I don't know about the "P" Skyhawk, but the "N" of our club decelerates a deal better in flare, compared to the "R", and doesn't float (If the speeds are right).

I blame the 30deg of flaps for the reluctance to settle of the "R", where the "N" has 40deg of flap deflection. This and the higher weight piles up, I guess.
Cheers,
Marco

Image Image

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”