New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Redglyph
Senior Airman

Re: New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

Post by Redglyph »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Glad you like it. Yes I think I've seen this one about the Cub. But thanks for sharing. Those are always worth to rewatch.
Lz-WIL wrote:12 years before the first series :D
Maybe that's where they got their idea for that opening :wink: :lol:
Well, the B-29 "green house" cockpit allegedly inspired some features of the Millenium Falcon, so you never know ;)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

What surprises me most is the choice of the model sometimes. Once in a topic here on the A2A's future plans I asked whether they were going to make any helicopter in the future, and Scott answered that, no, because nobody of the team flew a helicopter. Now, do you mean to say, guys, you have access to a flying Connie or B377? :lol:

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Scott, and All the A2A Team,

Been away for awhile, come back get on the forum and what do I see "Connie L049" being developed. some very exciting news.

Thanks and enjoy Oshkosh (so envious their), not really guy's enjoy the show, and safe travels home.

Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

ilya1502 wrote:What surprises me most is the choice of the model sometimes. Once in a topic here on the A2A's future plans I asked whether they were going to make any helicopter in the future, and Scott answered that, no, because nobody of the team flew a helicopter. Now, do you mean to say, guys, you have access to a flying Connie or B377? :lol:
Actually the answer to that is yes. They did. if you check the B377 threads for example you will see that was indeed the case.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Styggron wrote:
ilya1502 wrote:What surprises me most is the choice of the model sometimes. Once in a topic here on the A2A's future plans I asked whether they were going to make any helicopter in the future, and Scott answered that, no, because nobody of the team flew a helicopter. Now, do you mean to say, guys, you have access to a flying Connie or B377? :lol:
Actually the answer to that is yes. They did. if you check the B377 threads for example you will see that was indeed the case.
Kinda. Both the B377 and the Connie are unique instances. There are no currently flying B377s or L-049As, but there is a C-97G that is about to return to the air and they have access to several museum L-049As, plus there are extensive manuals and documentation available for both planes and engines. This is the one thing that's unique about he Wings of Silver/Captain of the Ship series because they model important aircraft of the era, not necessarily ones they have access to fly, so they can advance AccuSim's technology through the journey of development.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

I've been musing with some ideas.

I saw the recently released DC-6 for X-Plane, and the Skytrain/Skytrooper freeware for FSX/P3D, and was surprised to see that at last someone else finally introduced features like AI AFE (actually co-pilot for the later), persistence and basic "hangar" (for the former). Actually surprised at how much time it took them! A2A has been the pioneer and offering that for years, and personally it's why I'm hardly interested in other add-on aircraft which lack such depth in comparison - there are other reasons, of course, like the passion, the manuals, the aircraft themselves...

And what if...

1) we reversed the role a little bit, let an AI pilot fly the aircraft, and have the role of the FE to focus on the systems entirely? I know there's an autopilot, but the take-off and landing are quite challenging moments, and it would be great to give one's full attention to this part, at least when learning.

2) we had an instructor, for the different roles? It's not far from what is already in there, really, the AI AFE sees the cylinder head heat up, opens the cowl flaps a little bit and announces it to the crew. Instead, he could monitor the human engineer/pilot/co-pilot and directly instruct him "hey, buddy, it's time to open the cowl flaps", or a little later into the schooling, wait to see whether the human does it, and reminds him if he forgets and it's getting worrisome. Maybe give a score.

Just a thought. And yes, always dreaming and asking for more :D But well, A2A, you were the ones opening that door ;)

In any case, enjoying every bit of the current planes, and very much looking forward to the Connie!
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Redglyph wrote:I've been musing with some ideas.

I saw the recently released DC-6 for X-Plane, and the Skytrain/Skytrooper freeware for FSX/P3D, and was surprised to see that at last someone else finally introduced features like AI AFE (actually co-pilot for the later), persistence and basic "hangar" (for the former). Actually surprised at how much time it took them! A2A has been the pioneer and offering that for years, and personally it's why I'm hardly interested in other add-on aircraft which lack such depth in comparison - there are other reasons, of course, like the passion, the manuals, the aircraft themselves...

And what if...

1) we reversed the role a little bit, let an AI pilot fly the aircraft, and have the role of the FE to focus on the systems entirely? I know there's an autopilot, but the take-off and landing are quite challenging moments, and it would be great to give one's full attention to this part, at least when learning.

2) we had an instructor, for the different roles? It's not far from what is already in there, really, the AI AFE sees the cylinder head heat up, opens the cowl flaps a little bit and announces it to the crew. Instead, he could monitor the human engineer/pilot/co-pilot and directly instruct him "hey, buddy, it's time to open the cowl flaps", or a little later into the schooling, wait to see whether the human does it, and reminds him if he forgets and it's getting worrisome. Maybe give a score.

Just a thought. And yes, always dreaming and asking for more :D But well, A2A, you were the ones opening that door ;)

In any case, enjoying every bit of the current planes, and very much looking forward to the Connie!
Yeah or a shared cockpit so that we can enjoy the beast in multiplayer :D

Btw this thread is 30 pages already. The Connie is definitely an anticipated product :wink:
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

I'm hoping A2A pulls out all the stops on this plane. 8)

Really looking forward to a ridiculously complex and temperamental, big, old plane to navigate, fly AND maintain. Wonder if they will do a comprehensive walk around inspection? Or a more in-depth mechanical repair feature?

Will it be Heidi's sister spilling coffee this time or her gold digging, loose step sister from the south?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Or maybe it will be that drunken pilot up in the front who never can pull it together cause he's too busy looking for that next drink and chatting up the stewardesses? Hey?

I agree, I hope A2A keeps expanding the depth of the walk-around and maintenance hangar. I'm fairly optomistic about that since each new development tends to push boundaries back.

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

I'm expecting at most a B-17 style hangar (wich is already A LOT) but tbh I can't see a cylinder-by cylinder simulation of four 18-cylinders engines :lol: I'm fine with a B-377-style minimalist hangar and no walkaround. Because in COTS the interesting stuff happens in the cockpit, and you better have any failed part replaced between flights if you don't want the FAA to jail you :mrgreen: no point in having the choice to manually replace an aging oil pump when your main concern is the comfort of half a hundred passengers :wink:
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

CAPFlyer wrote:
Styggron wrote:
Kinda. Both the B377 and the Connie are unique instances. There are no currently flying B377s or L-049As, but there is a C-97G that is about to return to the air and they have access to several museum L-049As, plus there are extensive manuals and documentation available for both planes and engines. This is the one thing that's unique about he Wings of Silver/Captain of the Ship series because they model important aircraft of the era, not necessarily ones they have access to fly, so they can advance AccuSim's technology through the journey of development.
Really ? I thought there is an airworthy B377 out there.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Well, there will be an airworthy C-97 soon. (Berlin Airlift)

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

I never thought an old prop would be something I'd enjoy. But after flying the incredible freeware C47 v3 I'm happy to say I'll be most likely purchasing this Connie. Does anyone know if they'll be a copilot helper system at all? The interactive checklist on the C47 is a really amazing feature. I'm hoping something similar will exist on the Connie for newbs like me.

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Yes, the A2A Connie will have a full-on virtual crew supporting you. They will be very interactive, support you and give you feedback based on the way you fly the airplane.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

We don't know anything yet about the Connie's feature set, but its Captain of the Ship stablemate, the Stratocruiser, has a full AI crew (first officer, flight engineer, senior flight attendant) and passengers who react to your flight and throw some cabin-related problems at you. The B-17 also has an FO, engineer and crew to help you out (and keep you entertained). So it's a decent bet that the Connie will have something similar. It's asking a lot to fly one of these beasts single-handed, though there are those that like to try.

Glad you're enjoying the C-47 - I played a very small role in the beta test, so I'm a bit partial to it myself. Also glad to see you enjoying a big ol' propliner - I know you've got a need for speed, but I think you'll find that radials are good for the soul... 8)

While you're waiting for the Connie, you might want to have a look at the Strat (big and fast but handles like a bathtub) or the B-17 (a big, four-engine pussycat with great music tracks in addition to everything else).

Hope Scott and Co. will be chiming in with more Connie details soon.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”