How do I start Cessna 172 trainer with Cockpit/Instruments

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
pammynorris
Airman Basic

Post by pammynorris »

Hi as a young person, now 70, I learnt to fly on Cessna 172. However when I load simulation it starts showing runway but does not show control panel. Can somebody tell me how to bring up cockpit view with instruments so I can use F9,F10,F11 & F12 buttons. I prefer this realistic situation to bring back good memories.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How do I start Cessna 172 trainer with Cockpit/Instrumen

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

it sounds like you maybe have the 2d cockpit view enabled?

The old 2d cockpit system is semi depreciated in FSX so the majority of simulations including ours tend to do away with them altogether in favour of the much more realistic full virtual cockpit. If you enable your virtual cockpit your'll be able to use the A-S keys to do the normal view changes in the sim.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hi Pammy

This also took me a little while of getting used to. I only have 2 A2A craft, the C172 and the B377 with COTS as it was on special this weekend. I found in the C172 and I would surmise in other small craft, it should not be too much of a problem as you can use mouse look (hold space bar and move mouose) to look around and also the zoom.

I know what you mean though, there really should also be dockable panels especially for the larger craft like the B377.
You can "shift" left and right with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER and CTRL-SHIFT-BACKSPACE as I just learned this morning.

There are a few other keys that can help
http://barelybad.com/FSX/FSXintro.htm#Eyepoint

:)

As Lewis says, it is more realistic but if you have lots of things in the overhead panel, when you look up in FSX your head turns so you end up looking at things almost side on or worse so you need to use the controls above.

Hopefully A2A can use dockable panels with larger aircraft or at least selectable panels like Aerosoft Airbus planes do.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

Have you guys tried using the "A" key to cycle through the different views?

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Oliver Branaschky wrote:Have you guys tried using the "A" key to cycle through the different views?

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky
Lewis said that in the second post :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

But have you?

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Oliver Branaschky wrote:But have you?

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky
Nope. I only added to what Lewis said, to repeat it would be profligate :) the OP will read all the posts to scan for solutions :)

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

No offense, but mine was a legitimate question, for "end[ing] up looking at things almost side on" is exactly what the different views would have avoided ;-)

Anyway, bottom line is, I've never ever wished for the 2D panels since I've been using FSX. Even if it might take some getting used to, it's totally doable :-D

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Oliver Branaschky wrote:No offense, but mine was a legitimate question, for "end[ing] up looking at things almost side on" is exactly what the different views would have avoided ;-)

Anyway, bottom line is, I've never ever wished for the 2D panels since I've been using FSX. Even if it might take some getting used to, it's totally doable :-D

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky
Exactly. Those side views are very hard. I don't like them at all. If you are sitting in the left seat and you look up, in reality you could LEAN right and look at the switches straight on but in FSX when you look up it also turns your head. This is why I think dockable or breakout controls would be a good option. Sure have the virtual cockpit but have options like Aerosoft's A380s I agree completely.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”