Battery master general sound not modelled ?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Battery master general sound not modelled ?

Post by Styggron »

Hi everyone,

I saw this C172R starting up on youtube and noticed at 43 seconds there is a sound I don't recall being on the A2A C172R. It is when the pilot hits the battery and alt red switches on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6X7Oyb1FAs

Was this sound not recorded ?
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Battery master general sound not modelled ?

Post by Oracle427 »

That is the sound of the electric gyros spooling up. I can hear them at a realistic volume level in my sim.

They are nowhere near as loud as in the Youtube vid. I think that the microphop0ne placement for the recording of the Youtube vid made the gyros sound much louder than they would if you were in the seat in a quiet cabin.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, the gyro sound is modelled Styggron, it's just rather quiet. Unlike most other internal sounds, it's not part of the Accu-Sim sound effects so its volume is controlled buy the engine volume slider in FSX itself. See here for more info/discussion. :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Oracle427 wrote:That is the sound of the electric gyros spooling up. I can hear them at a realistic volume level in my sim.

Thank you Oracle 427
They are nowhere near as loud as in the Youtube vid. I think that the microphop0ne placement for the recording of the Youtube vid made the gyros sound much louder than they would if you were in the seat in a quiet cabin.
Ok so they are there. I thought they must be there with A2A's accuracy. So they are not supposed to be that loud then ? Ok I'll jump into mine and check again. I never recall hearing them at all.

Checking now..

Goodness you can only BARELY hear them if I put headphones on and max up all the volumes but even then it is barely audible. Without the headphones you cannot hear them.

I tried putting the cockpit and engine sounds on FSX to 100% but no better.

Any way to raise the level of that sound ?
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Styggron wrote:Any way to raise the level of that sound ?
Yes, if you follow the link I posted above, there's some discussion of this. It involves finding the following section in the sound.cfg file (in the C172's "sound" directory) and editing the "maximum_volume" value to your liking.

[GYRO_SOUND]
filename = a2a_c172_gyro
maximum_volume = 6000

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Nick M wrote:
Styggron wrote:Any way to raise the level of that sound ?
Yes, if you follow the link I posted above, there's some discussion of this. It involves finding the following section in the sound.cfg file (in the C172's "sound" directory) and editing the "maximum_volume" value to your liking.

[GYRO_SOUND]
filename = a2a_c172_gyro
maximum_volume = 6000

Nick
Thank you so much Nick. Yes I had a look at that thread.
I tried putting all the sliders on 100 in FSX itself to no avail, I will now try your solution.

Trying it on 9000

Thanks again

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Thank you SO much Nick

Problem solved although 9000 was way too much now..... I'll adjust it so it is reasonable. Before it was essentially inaudible but as Oracle wrote above, the video I linked to has it far too loud so how quiet should it be ?

I guess it should be audible but fairly "quiet" would that be accurate ?

Thank you again SO much Nick you have helped me SO many times.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Can't help but comment that his correction was unnecessary in that respect that there is no need whatsoever to push the engine all the way to full rich! :) It depends on a few aspects, but note how beautifully the engine fired up and started to idle with just a tad of mixture at a time. If he did push it quickly all the way in, it could very well not actually have started for he didn't got a good prime as far as I can see "over the shoulder". While the walk-through maybe isn't the most accurate, the technique from the starter engagement really is better of what I've seen for the initial startup.

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We kept that sound intentionally low and out of accusim / in fsx, so anyone can adjust that value to whatever they like without hurting anything.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The gyros can clearly be heard in a quiet environment with the engine off. Definitely if you are sitting in the cabin with the doors closed. You will not be able to hear it at all with the engine running.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:We kept that sound intentionally low and out of accusim / in fsx, so anyone can adjust that value to whatever they like without hurting anything.

Scott.
Cheers Scott. :) I have to say you are also another reason why I love A2A so much. You have so much enthusiasm in your videos, it's infectious ! It really makes me want to jump in and have a go. Good on you, you're fantastic!
Oracle427 wrote:The gyros can clearly be heard in a quiet environment with the engine off. Definitely if you are sitting in the cabin with the doors closed. You will not be able to hear it at all with the engine running.
Thank you Oracle. I will adjust it accordingly. I didn't know about the file I needed to edit to raise the volume, I originally just used FSX sliders to no avail but Nick's solution worked perfectly. I just need to tweak it so I can hear it in the cabin and then not when the engine is on then I'll have the perfect level. :)

Thanks everyone.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad the sound.cfg tip was helpful Styggron and good thinking from Scott in keeping the gyro sound 'editable' in this way. I think our perception of reasonably high frequency sounds like this one can be quite variable: differing audio set-ups such as a preference for speakers or headphones will likely make a difference, as will the individual's hearing and age.
AKar wrote:Can't help but comment that his correction was unnecessary in that respect that there is no need whatsoever to push the engine all the way to full rich!
Yeah, I've though about this in the past. All the way to rich on start-up only to start leaning aggressively a few moments later? However, from a flight sim perspective, having less than optimal control set-up makes it easier to just promptly shove the mixture lever all the way in when starting the engine. I guess the same could apply to the real thing at a time when fingers and eyes are busy! :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick M wrote:Yeah, I've though about this in the past. All the way to rich on start-up only to start leaning aggressively a few moments later? However, from a flight sim perspective, having less than optimal control set-up makes it easier to just promptly shove the mixture lever all the way in when starting the engine. I guess the same could apply to the real thing at a time when fingers and eyes are busy!
I only checked the video on by tablet, so I'm not sure I picked everything from it, but it seemed to me he under-primed the engine: to my eyes and ears, the engine didn't catch at all before he pushed the mixture just a tiny bit in. While the "book way" would be to re-prime the engine, this works very well too - effectively opening the mixture a bit is equivalent to pumping the primer in a hand-primed engine. If he pushed the mixture all the way in, he would have opened a path for the fuel that would have been dimensioned for full-rich idle RPM fuel flow while the engine would have been turning at or just above the cranking speed. While the fuel pump would also turn at cranking speed, the flow it produces would most certainly still be enough to flood the engine.

One can, everything permitting, start one of these with no pre-crank priming whatsoever, but it is very easy to flood one when fooling around.

-Esa

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Someone told me you should leave the fuel pump on while trying to start........... I tried it on the C172....unsurprisingly, it didn't like it.
I found, quite rightly of course, if I leave the plane for weeks or more it is indeed much much harder to start as it should be.

If I get tired I can just press "auto start" but that is no fun.

The little nuances in starting is what Accu Sim is all about. I have been told by many people you can have two computers next to each other and the C172 will just be a tad different in characteristics. This REALLY makes you learn YOUR plane and care where you park it, tie downs etc. It's your baby.

I never had this with FSX defaults. I didn't care where I left those :)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Styggron wrote:Someone told me you should leave the fuel pump on while trying to start........... I tried it on the C172....unsurprisingly, it didn't like it.
Yeah, the boost pump is very little used in Cessnas. It is primarily there for priming, pushing out some vapor if needed, and to be used should the engine-driven pump fail.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”