westerly around the world attempt

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: westerly around the world attempt

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great job Alan, quite the journey so far I've been watching on and off when I can 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

LEG 11 RJCC/RJSS about 280NM direct , complete , actual 302NM done.
This flight took me from one of the jananese isles to mainland japan , uneventfull flight weather was good for a change , aircraft landed with no faults , oil/fuel topped up , ready for next leg .
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65347047
Regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
LEG12 RJSS/RJTT about 200NM complete , actual 217NM done only problem with this flight , was for some reason a temporary internet failure , so brief i never noticed , until i came to log the file and had a problem , then i noticed , not one , but two twitch videos of this flight , which confirmed the internet loss . going by theses twitch videos , it seems it happened about 1 hr into flight , when this as happened before , it has caused a crash of the programes.
as for the flight only real problem , was the weather at RJTT , with cloud base going lower than atis said it was , aircraft landed with no recorded faults ,oil/fuel topped up ready for next flight.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65439665
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65443857
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
LEG 13 RJTT/RJFK about 526NM direct , complete , actual 556NM done. This flight was not good for a few reasons , thunderstorms on takeoff at RJTT , that followed me almost to my destination , my internet disconnected AGAIN and i was off line for 2 min while router rebooted up , i knew about the disconnect as VPILOT gave a beep and the green connect button was not on , time of disconnect was 20.22.58 , and managed to reconnect at 20.24.23 , surprisingly TWITCHTV did not do a restart of stream but as recorded to the end , FSACARS i saved before i sent , just incase of problems , but did not give any this time .
Weather at RJFK was really bad , atis forcasting low cloud at about 500/700 but ASN giving zero cloud base , saw some high ground coming towards me , out of the mist , as i was getting prepared for landing , flaps at this stage was at first position , and i just pushed the mixture full rich and throttle to full as i started to climb away from the obstruction , only for ASN to put aircraft tim way out of ballance and gave a masive headwind , causing aircraft to stall, got the aircraft under control , and turned ASN off , but trim was still not working correctly , managed to get the aircraft down ,then turned ASN back on , on the after flight check , the aircraft eng oil was lower than normal , in the hangar it showed an oil line leak , and also right brake worn , these faults where fixed and oil/fuel topped up ready for next flight.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65467869
Regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

So the repairs you are carrying out as and when they come up? Will you let anything less critical wear down during your adventure?

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Lewis.
In answer to your question , it depends on the nature of the fault ,weather,destination,length of trip , as to what i would consider safe to carry, using my aircraft engineering background to guide my decisions .
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-5830NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-14
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-61.39 HR
TOTAL AIRCRAFT FAULTS TODATE
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 14 RJFK/ROAH about 366NM direct , complete , actual 388NM done.
Weather AGAIN was absolutly bad , zero vis winds 12g25 slight crosswind on rwy , preflight showed no faults , i had to switch ASN on/off twice during climbout , as it was interfering with trim/autopilot , evan after taking manual control , trim was moving under its own steam , till ASN was switched off , once aircraft was stable at cruise , i switched ASN back on , but it still tried to crash the aircraft , by putting it in a dive , so switched it of again , and took manual control till i got the aircraft stable again, after about 15 min i turn ASN on again , this time it behaved its self untill i took over manual flight at my destination , i was on base could see the airport clearly , switched a/p off and ASN decided to instantly put a thick cloud around me , and no vis ref to the airport , so turned ASN off till i was lined up on finals , then turned it back on , and the cloud base should have been 1500ft but ASN clouds followed me down to 500 ft , makeing it very difficult to see.
Thunderstorms/high headwinds/turbulance for the entire trip.
Once down and parked , i had noticed on taxi in , the aircraft was pulling to right , seeing as night before i had replaced the right brake due to wear , i susspect left brake now needed replacing , in the hangar i was proved right , left brake replaced ,oil/fuel replenished ready for next leg.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65623311
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-6376NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-15
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-66.43 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 15 ROAH/RCKH about 515NM direct , complete , actual 546NM done.
Weather thunderstorms at takeoff but winds where lighter than skyvector was predicting , so made better headway than expected , now in taiwan , flight was a lot smoother than of late , and uneventful in the main , only concern was someone prating about at departure airport , not useing any radios ,and same person flying both a mil aircraft and pax aircraft , and when i first caught sight of him , was as he was taking off as i approached the runway threashold , to do my mag checks.
Aircraft original destination was a mil airport , so changed destination to RCKH , aircraft landed with no reported faults oil/fuel replenished ready for next leg .
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65793260
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-6869NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-16
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-71.44 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 16 RCKH/RPLL about 492NM direct , complete , actual 493NM done.
Weather at RCKH was according to atis ok , but in reality it was nasty , had to turn ASN of just after take off as it generated winds that where higher than atis stated , and almost stalled the aircraft , once i had aircraft stable , i reactivated ASN , had to turn ASN off again about 1 hr into flight , as the speed dropped instantly to almost stalling speed , left ASN of for about 10 min , then reactivated it again , and was ok for rest of trip , i suspect corrupt weather downloads as cause , other than that flight was un eventful , aircraft landed at RPLL with no faults , oil/fuel topped up ready for next leg .
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/65835783
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-7420NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-17
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-77.08 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1

LEG 17 RPLL/RPMD about 519NM direct , complete , actual 551NM done.
Flight was uneventful except for my internet going down for a split second , but had to wait 2 min for router to boot up before i could reconnect to vatsim time of disconnect was 16.30.48 reconnect was 16.30.54 aircraft landed at RPMD with no faults , oil/fuel replenished ready for next flight.
There is 3 twitchtv streams for this flight due to the internet momentary outage.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66165730
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66189074
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66190426
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-7763NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-18
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-80.28 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 18 RPMD/WAMM about 342NM direct , complete , actual 343NM done.
Thunderstorms all the way from departure to arrival , windshear in a few places along the route , that came close to causeing a stall , visual reference on arrival was poor , i had ils tuned but good old ms never did one for this airport , which should have had one on each runway , aircraft landed with no faults , oil/fuel replenished ready for next flight.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66406507
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-7925NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-19
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-82.13 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 19 WAMM/WAMT about 154NM direct , complete , actual 162NM done.
This and next few legs , are easterly as i head for papa new guinea , then round coast of australia , thunderstorms all the way on this leg , with occastional windshears to mess with the aircraft , WAMT was more sparse than plan had led me to believe , just an unlit runway , difficult to see at night with thunderstorms , sadly had a very heavy landing , which i was not happy with , but thankfully no damage done , no faults on afterflight checks , so oil/fuel replenished , ready for next leg.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66597748
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-8347NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-20
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-86.20 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 20 WAMT/WASR about 414NM direct , complete , actual 422NM done.
Flight and weather uneventful , one of the calmest flights i have had, first flight since installing orbx GLOBAL BASE/VECTOR night lighting and coastal a vast improvement from default FSX .
Aircraft landed at WASR with no faults , oil/fuel replenished ready for next flight.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66755060
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-8682NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-21
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-89.45 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 21 WASR/WABP about 279NM direct , complete , actual 335NM done.
Flight was ok thunderstorms most of way , a bit of turbulance , cloud at destination was a bit lower than min approach alt , but a gap opened up allowing me to see airport to line up ok ,on landing i could not see the taxi line off the runway , turns out they stop at the taxi stop line so in the dark its very hard to see turn off from runway , good job it was quiet , on afterflight check no faults recorded , oil/fuel topped up for next leg.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66796168
Regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-9001NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-22
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-93.12 HR
plugs changed x 1
oil change x 1
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 22 WABP/WAKK about 318NM direct , complete , actual 319NM done.
Well lightening all the way on this flight,in about 3 places along the route , aircraft was hit with windshear , that came close to stalling aircraft , and vs up/down like a yoyo , as was the speed , weather ok at destination ,aircraft landed with no after flight faults , so oil/fuel replenished ready for next leg .
Also this was the first flight using my new saitek trim wheel , test proofing was ok.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/66959370
Regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
TOTAL NM FLOWN TODATE:-9445NM
TOTAL LEGS FLOWN TODATE:-23
TOTAL FLT TIME TAKEN:-97.38 HR
plugs changed x 2
oil change x 2
oil pipe leak x 2
oil filter replaced x 1
worn L/flap parts x 1
worn R/flap parts x 1
L brake worn x 1
R brake worn x 1
LEG 23 WAKK/AYPY about 443NM direct , complete , actual 444NM done.
Flight was ok till decent then something caused a/p to go a bit silly , had to take manual control , asn giving different weather to vatspy or skyvector , so i suspect asn is not getting weather updates in this part of world , aircraft landed with no faults , but afterflight walkaround , the oil seems a bit darker than normal , so before next flight i will do an oil/plug change , fuel topped up ready for next flight to oz.
Regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”