Utility category

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Re: Utility category

Post by Pistonpilot »

Mr. Henriques, was your experience with the T-38A or T-38C? Just curious, as I don't believe the technique changed between the models. The primary discussion I experienced with the T-38C was that, if you somehow managed to get into a spin, you would probably end up ejecting at a minimum altitude before you had a chance to try much in the way of recovery techniques. Apparently the C-model pilots had a helluva time trying to enter a stable upright spin, however, stable inverted spins were easier to induce.

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Utility category

Post by DHenriques_ »

Pistonpilot wrote:Mr. Henriques, was your experience with the T-38A or T-38C? Just curious, as I don't believe the technique changed between the models. The primary discussion I experienced with the T-38C was that, if you somehow managed to get into a spin, you would probably end up ejecting at a minimum altitude before you had a chance to try much in the way of recovery techniques. Apparently the C-model pilots had a helluva time trying to enter a stable upright spin, however, stable inverted spins were easier to induce.

-Ian C
I flew the A; a NASA blue stripper.
I would agree that any departure in a 38 at low altitude might not be recoverable.
The quickest way to depart the 38 was doing multiple max deflection aileron rolls around .9 mach. The last 1/4 of lateral stick throw doubled the roll rate and inertia coupling entered the equation just past the first 360 degrees.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”