Cessna 172S with Garmin G1000 Avionics

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
pilot22
Airman Basic

Cessna 172S with Garmin G1000 Avionics

Post by pilot22 »

Hi there,

I've just started a course to get my real life private pilot's license. I'd like to be able to reinforce the training that I get at flight school with a home simulation solution that mirrors my training environment as closely as possible. Real life training plane that I'm using is a 2006 Cessna 172S with G1000 Avionics.

I haven't chosen my flight simulation software yet (it seems to be between Prepare3D or XPlane 10 but open to feedback). I see that A2A Simulations seems to have a really nice 172s that works with Prepare3D, but it doesn't seem to have the G1000 avionics setup.

Does anyone know of a great turnkey solution that would allow me to mirror my real life training environment as closely as possible in a simulator? Preferably without a bunch of customization as I'd rather focus on learning to fly, than learning how to customize a simulator.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Cessna 172S with Garmin G1000 Avionics

Post by Oracle427 »

I learned to fly on an '08 G1000 172SP as well. Don't sweat the avionics.

The simplest advice I could give you if you are learning to fly is to forget about the G1000. Focus on the flying and working with the avionics will come naturally.

There is no substitute for the button pushing and knob twisting that comes with the real thing. There is a decent Garmin simulator and the King Schools course is great if you are working on your IFR ticket, but for VFR PPL there is very very little to worry about with operating the G1000. Normally a 2 hour checkout for VFR ops will get you going at most places renting aircraft.

The essential tasks that one must perform with an HSI, VOR, GPS, altimeter, etc. do not change all that much whether you fly analog or with a G1000. As you practice with each type of avionics package that you will encounter in your flying, the one thing that will always remain constant is your training on how to fly the airplane.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

lars667
Airman

Post by lars667 »

Hi there. I can't argue with last speaker that G1000 probably isn't a huge concern for learning to fly VFR, and have little experience myself (student pilot on an old C172P). But if you have an iPad/iPhone or two and would like to play with these things (I know, when you're an aspiring pilot, you really would like to get hands-on even when you don't have the plane in front of you ;-)), you could buy the G1000 simulator from http://www.simionic.net/introduction.html which really is two apps for the MFD and PFD that will connect to whichever sim you have. It seems like they also are working on a bezel with realistic buttons and knobs. I have bought the apps myself, but haven't really tested them yet. Just confirmed that they connect to the sim and seem to be updated without noticable lag.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

One more thing about add-on avionics and A2A. A2A does their magic externally from the FSX engine and uses many non-default variables to override the default FSX behaviors.

The Simionic package may not interface properly with A2A aircraft as a result. Looks cool though.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oracle427 wrote:The simplest advice I could give you if you are learning to fly is to forget about the G1000. Focus on the flying and working with the avionics will come naturally.
I think Oracle's advice is "spot on". (just wanted to +1 it)

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”