Re: Crash on Takeoff

Post by Jetstream »

Thanks, I will keep at it and hope I can master the C172

Jetstrea

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

Just wanted to update you all on my problems with the C172. I have managed to get off the ground using right rudder but I am having a lot of problems after takeoff. Although I have the trim set to take off the aircraft will just pitch up and it takes a lot of effort to get the plane under some sort of control. I have taken on board the advice given but I am really finding it difficult to handle. Is this how the C172 flies in the real world.

Many thanks for any help,

Jetstream

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

How are you loaded in the payload manager, shift + 4?

How are you settings in the sim, are they set as per the manual?

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

Have checked all settings in payload manager and everything is fine. One passenger, fuel levels full, baggage set to default. I will recheck the sim settings to make sure but I'm sure they are set correctly.

Just been watching a takeoff video on YouTube and can't see where I'm going wrong as do the same as in the video and my takeoff is nothing like that one.

Jetstream

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

And you are all updated with the latest Accu-sim updater, have you tried changing your shift + 4 payload to a lighter load?
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

I'll give that a try.

Thanks,.

Jetstream

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

I still wonder if you're pulling too far back when you rotate to get off the ground. If you're waiting until 60 knots, it should only take a little bit of back pressure to get the nose to come up. Then, as the mains leave the ground, don't keep pulling - try to keep the nose on the horizon (you may even have to push forward a little to do it). Only when you've hit about 70 knots do you start pulling back more to maintain Vy.

All of that said, if the nose keeps rising no matter how much you try to it from doing so, then yes, I'd look at whether Accusim's up to date, you've got your controls calibrated correctly, etc.

Good luck!
Jon K.
Image Image Image ImageImage

cessnaman
Airman First Class

Post by cessnaman »

Although it was stated that trim was set for takeoff, it sure sounds like a trim issue.
As N324JK was saying you may even have to push forward a little. You may also want to try some nose down trim to try and maintain a stabilized climb.
Is every thing ok in garage? No issues with trim tab?

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

Hi,
I was wondering about trim so I will surely give that a try. Thanks

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Once you takeoff around 60 knots, gently pull the nose up to below the horizon line and no more. This should give you roughly 80 knots for climbing. You don't need any flaps for takeoff, make sure the trim is set to the take off position (white mark in the middle), keep the wings level using the aileron, and use enough right rudder to keep the ball centered. (if the ball is right of center, apply right rudder pressure, but do it slowly and gently at first to get the feel for the right amount) Same case if the ball is left of center, apply left rudder pressure. 80 knot climb.

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

I will try out all your suggestions when I get flying again this weekend. I'll keep you posted how it all goes.

Jetstream

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Jetstream,

On the real 172R takeoff trim will give a slightly positive climb at liftoff speed. Once you start to accelerate, yes, the aircraft requires quite a dab of forward pressure until you get her into climbing trim (I use 75-80knots) . I am firmly in the "classic power on stall" camp explaining your problems .. sorry :) And yes, also, the right rudder pressure on climb can be quite firm and even a little tiring if climbing to any altitude.

The flight model is as close to real as you can make FSX and many of us with a bunch of hours in the R for real signed off on her.

Keep up the practice, it is worth all the trouble for the beautiful flight models!

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Jetstream
Airman

Post by Jetstream »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your advice, I have now managed to sort the takeoff problems I was having. Apparently I was not using enough nose down trim and I can now do the takeoff. It is still a big learning curve but I shall keep practicing until I can get it where I want to be.Then I shall have to start on landings, and that is a completely different ball game. Hopefully, in time I will master this great aircraft.

Good wishes to all,

Jetstream

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I made these videos and they might help :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... scUg5z9_v8

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

A word of caution. Do not fly the airplane with the trim. You should be able to keep full control of the aircraft regardless of where the trim is positioned. In real life that will be difficult with the amount of force that you will need to apply to keep the aircraft under control, but in the sim this is not a factor.

Keep the aircraft fully under your control using the yoke, and then use the trim to relieve your workload. You should be able to briefly release the controls with the trim properly set without having the aircraft pitch up or down.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”