pics of "Bad fuel" and damage ?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

pics of "Bad fuel" and damage ?

Post by Styggron »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has some screenshots of what "bad" fuel looks like or fuel that has a problem. Also if you have any screencaps of other damaged parts that would be great. Would love to see things, especially fuel.

Should we look for water in the fuel as well ? I hear that is a common problem ?
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: pics of "Bad fuel" and damage ?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Well, it's cheating a little bit, :) but if you look in this folder...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C172\panel\A2A_C172

...the bitmap images showing various damaged components can be viewed. You should indeed check for water in the fuel (visible as a separate layer in the bottom of the 'Gats' jar - also shown in the above folder) but I don't think that any other form of fuel contamination is modelled.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Nick M wrote:Well, it's cheating a little bit, :) but if you look in this folder...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C172\panel\A2A_C172

...the bitmap images showing various damaged components can be viewed. You should indeed check for water in the fuel (visible as a separate layer in the bottom of the 'Gats' jar - also shown in the above folder) but I don't think that any other form of fuel contamination is modelled.

Cheers,
Nick

Gotcha. :) Thank you.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

During your training your shown what is good but that's it, so going in somewhat blind as crazy as it sounds is actually realistic. The fuel though is easy to spot as its quite clear if you have water in the fuel so long as your not throwing it about anyway lol

In an age of easy digital cameras and imagery and what not i'm surprised that its not a requirement to be shown some of the common issues along with whats good (I understand some CFI's do this but its not a requirement etc) Maybe some of the pilots and CFI's here could comment?

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm not a CFI but a pilot. I was trained to know what the important parts and pieces are supposed to look like and feel like. Anything that deviates from normal should be treated as potential dangerous and needs to be examined further. What I was told by my CFI's repeatedly was that if you're not sure if something is "abnormal" or not ask someone who might know!

So Lewis is right. It is pretty realistic. You know what it is supposed to look like if everything is ok. If something doesn't look like normal it's probably not ok!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Looking at the faulty pictures in advance in my opinion ruins the whole thing.

Just do a complete walk around and look closely.

Use your own judgement don't ask someone to show you the photos.

It is like saying "It is pulling to the left".Well give it some bloody right rudder,you are flying the thing.

Trimming is an ongoing thing in small aircraft.It is rather like saying my car pulls to the left or what does a puncture look like.

Cheers Chris

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

In reality, using case photos to show typical findings is mostly good thing, however, it kind of gives a false idea, and it is necessary to underline how hard the issues can be to spot in real conditions. For any routine visual inspection, the only proper mindset is not to check whether the airplane is fit to fly - but to find something that grounds her, or needs fixing. If one fails in that, then one can at least convince oneself that the plane should be ok.

-Esa

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hi everyone

You still need to know what is ok and what is not and if when training people are shown, then same thing applies here.

My rationale with A2A however is this.

1. When the plane is NEW then everything is AS it should be so keep doing those checks and notice things.
2. One day you will see the fuel does not look as it should and POW you know there is something wrong......maybe, plus you take it into the Hangar A2A style

All good. :)

I'm still on my C172 not bought anything else YET. I want to get to know my C172 better AND I want to land properly, I still bounce way too much. :)

Do the A2A walk around checks miss anything / not implement what you would do on a real C172 ? Probably not but I thought I'd ask. Knowing A2A and Scott, the answer would be "no" so What I do here with the C172 walk around I would do on a REAL C172 yes ?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I'm with the camp that seeing these A2A pictures takes away all the fun.

I don't know what the pictures of damage will look like in the A2A sim nor in RL. What does a busted hinge look like? How will I know when a flap is about the fail? Will it be obvious when a bolt has loosened just a little bit when compared to the other bolts around it?

Is there a picture that could be presented for every possible scenario anyway?

It comes down to trying to look for change from the normal things you see each and every time you inspect the aircraft.

These things are there staring right out at you waiting to be detected and very obvious once noticed.

I think the issue most sim users have is that the preflight inspection function isn't accompanied with the background explanations that are provided by an instructor. These details aren't found in the POH.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”