GPSMAP 295 reduced functionality

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

GPSMAP 295 reduced functionality

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't figure out how to skip a waypoint with the GPSMAP 295 on the 172. I'd prefer not to use a GPS at all, but this is my compromise flying where there are not sufficient NAVAIDs for navigation. When I try to follow the Garmin guide, it tells me I can transition to the next waypoint, but it doesn't work in the sim. I've figured out how to highlight the waypoint I want with the cursor, but Enter won't engage it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I can do D->WPT, but that deletes the remainder of the flight plan.

Regards,
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: GPSMAP 295 reduced functionality

Post by Oracle427 »

The simulation of the default GPS units is not accurate. This is a limitation of the units that come with FSX.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

So it wouldn't really matter which unit I chose? The limitation is inherent in the original FSX code?
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I believe (bit I don't know as I don't own any)that the aftermarket GPS simulations are better in this sense.

The stock FSX ones have a lot of limitations. I could have sworn that the stock GNS400 allows you to highlight a waypoint in the FPL page and then press the Direct To button without losing the entire plan, but my memory is foggy here. The FPL page otherwise doesn't work correctly in numerous other ways.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes Oracle is correct the default units are of course the little FSX ones if you want an accurate GPS simulation you would be looking at one of the third party GPS options, the three big ones of which are supported in your A2A C172 Trainer simulation in FSX and two in P3D;

RXP/Mindstar 430/530 and Flight1 GTN6/750

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Okay, thanks for the quick replies. With GPS being the bane of my former existence, I'd rather go with the reduced functionality than enslave myself to a 3rd party add-on. Kidding, sort of, but I find a lot of satisfaction navigating the older-fashion way of navaid to navaid, than just following the pretty line. But in some places, the navaids are non-existent, or NDBs, neither of which are reasonably navigated without satellite assistance. But again, thanks so much for the clarifications.

Regards,
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Why not use dead reckoning and pilotage in the gaps between navaids?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Indeed, you can do it the old fashioned way and dont forget about the shift + map too so you can do without the GPS altogether and if needed cheat a little by just popping up the included map feature.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Oracle, I tried that to start my virtual trip around the world, but even in Canada, it's just too far between NDBs for pure pilotage and guesswork. And I knew once I got to the frozen tundras of Northern Siberia that would be... difficult. But yes, in general, once I get back to the US, I'll probably remove the GPS altogether and just fly the needles. I'm doing my best to fly with what's in an actual aircraft, since I'm trying to decide if I want to use FSX as a springboard to getting my PPL, so I do use 3rd party map functions, but only as reference, not for actual navigation. But thanks for the suggestions, and it would be fun to brush up on my old DR skills and see how close I can get without any external sources.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you are using FSX alongside your PPL training then get used to working with paper charts and doing pilotage and dead reckoning along with tracking inbound and outbound courses and VORs. Learning to use the GPS will also be important during training.

NDBs will depend on whether or not your aircraft is equipped with and ADF.

Flying an around the world trip is well beyond the scope of PPL training and requires very specialized planning and training even for experienced pilots. I attended a presentation by CarolAnn Garratt last year where she shared a lot of information about what it took and it was intensive.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Oh, yes, I didn't mean I was going to try to fly around the world in RL, just doing it in the simulator to see a) if a 172 can actually make it around the world, b) at least sort of what some of the pitfalls of trying to do it in RL would be, and c) how much I like flying in a simulator to carry over into real world flying. I haven't even had a discovery flight in the real world yet, though don't know if 5000 hours sitting behind pilots counts, but military flying is a whole other thing anyway.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I was referring to what you can expect in training. The skills you will be armed with are enough to get around and help you if you get lost, but far from being ready to go around the world. You can definitely do it in a 172.

I think the simulators are excellent for learning and practicing the avionics and using them to navigate. Not very useful for the takeoffs and landings, but they're getting better in that respect.
Last edited by Oracle427 on 06 Nov 2015, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

I can definitely see your point, everything I've read is that the simulator is best for learning procedures and systems, not for experiencing actual flying. But it's still a lot of fun, particularly with the way the systems are modeled in the A2A 172, worrying about changing oil, replacing failing parts or trying to fly with them until I reach a location that would reasonably be able to fix them, etc. I'm even trying to guesstimate the costs of operating a private plane from the simulator, in case a rich uncle dies and leaves me enough money to buy my own)
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”