C172 Start Procedure

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: C172 Start Procedure

Post by gulredrel »

Only having the start up checklist is maybe not enough, when different checklists need the outcome of previous checklists. So it would be better to see following checklists like runup and so on.

Using the tank with lowest content during start up shows, that the engine is running from this tank. There could be an entry in Before Takeoff or Run Up checklist, which requires to select the fullest tank. So both tanks have been used on the ground and you will than takeoff with the fullest tank.

Just an my opinion, I'm no real world pilot and don't know, if this applies to other rules.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

I tried Mad Robbie's checklist. No go. :(
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Styggron wrote:I tried Mad Robbie's checklist. No go. :(
Indicates correct simulation of flooded engine. :) Likely result of using that wrong procedure.

-Esa

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Hi all,

I use the following checklist, mainly because I could reduce the sheets and fit them in my old Nav plastic checklist pages from my -135 days. But overall, it works well for the A2A 172.

http://www.freechecklists.net/Resources ... R+Skyhawk/ I use the one by Michael Head.

Regards,
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:
Styggron wrote:I tried Mad Robbie's checklist. No go. :(
Indicates correct simulation of flooded engine. :) Likely result of using that wrong procedure.

-Esa
That's exactly what I was intending to say with my post. Thanks for confirming that.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Thanks for those check lists I will try that one next.

Oh also, when avionics master switch is on a lot of list say check for audible operation of the avionics cooling fan.
I can't hear it. I know it is probably subtle but I can't seem to hear it.

Some questions if I may
  • Is it there in the A2A simulation ?
  • Also just so I am on the same page, when mixture is supposed to be on idle cut off that is pulled all the way out yes ? I still see videos of people pumping it a little then leaving it half in.
  • Also what does rich/lean do is it like changing the fuel/air ratio so lean is more air less fuel etc ?
  • Does it matter if I have alternator on as well as the battery ? When some lists say master on, I just flick battery and alternator. I sometimes try it with battery only if it says battery on
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

All the way out until engine fires. If it doesn't even hesitate after a few seconds, carefully advance the throttle instead somewhat to give it more air. Half in mixture makes no difference to full in in practice during the start - it equally floods the engine. The mixture controls fuel-air ratio, yes. During startup, when there is little to no measurable airflow through the injector, it 'defaults' open flow, therefore flooding the engine unless the flow is cut off by mixture lever.

Can't recall the avionics fans in 172R, in steam gauge planes they are often rather quiet, individual fans of the boxes. Equivalent to poor quality computer fans basically.... The high-flow equipment cooling fans in bigger planes are very loud in comparison.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The cooling fan is a squirrel cage type fan.not terribly noisy but you can definitely hear it if nothing else is making noise. I don't think this is modeled in the A2A 172.

Some lists have you start with just battery and then switch on the alternator. That is the way I do it. The very first time I took my dad up for a flight I switched on the alternator and the low voltage light stayed on. A minute of troubleshooting later I had to scrub the flight. :( A little embarrassing, but better than having to land at a non towered field and looking for a ride home if I lost it while airborne and far away. I know of no benefit to either way.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

MadRobbie1
BDG

Post by MadRobbie1 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:....There's no need to go all capital letters here (for me that's the equivalent of yelling in written form!)....
Gentlemen,

Firstly Piper - apologies to you (and any other forum user) if the opening to my previous post came across as harsh. That wasn't the intended result!
I didn't actually use capital letters to be fair Piper, as I have long understood that to be a hostile form of response..... I did for sure change the font size (to the next one available) and the colour to simply illustrate/highlight a very significant comment/detail at the start of my post that to me felt as if it had been missed (or maybe misunderstood) after reading the follow-on posts. I thought text editing in this way was an acceptable practice (barring making the text so large that it is obviously taking the p*ss out of another forum user) - so if this isn't the case then again I repeat I'm sorry if my response came across as hostile. I don't come here to make enemies, as I'm sure neither do any of you!

The checks I included were copied verbatim from the documents that are freely available to purchase from pilot supply shops all over the internet, but with regards to the differences in procedures due to engine types, the list was not being promoted as "this is how it should be done", merely this is a list that (for what ever reason) the overall form works for me and my A2A 172 with no visible adverse effects.
The list items I posted here were all included from that documents page/section for continuity's sake, I didn't actually state that I followed the list to the letter :wink:
For example, it's pretty obvious that the carb heat check is redundant, as is the prime as required and lock.

I've just double-checked that my FSX is setup exactly as recommended in the A2A C172 pilot's manual, and this is definitely the case. If I had an option set incorrectly, then I could easily understand the discrepancies of my aircraft starting while others flooded.

If I can get my head around making and posting a recording the startup being carried out, then I will post it up here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Cheers!
Rob
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

All A2A aircraft, Accufeel and Aircraft Factory Corsair/P-51/Anson.

MadRobbie1
BDG

Post by MadRobbie1 »

OK, well I've filmed the startup with fraps showing the use of the Pooley's checklist. Engine fires up 1st time all ok. Bear in mind there was no walkaround or preliminary checks performed. Chocks still in place, as was pitot cover. The aim was to show the engine does start up using the base procedure in the Pooley's checklist.

It's 2.75Gb though!

Anyone with any clues as to how to make it more manageable in file size, and where to upload it to, that would be great!

Cheers!
Rob
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

MadRobbie1 wrote: Gentlemen,

Firstly Piper - apologies to you (and any other forum user) if the opening to my previous post came across as harsh. That wasn't the intended result!
I didn't actually use capital letters to be fair Piper, as I have long understood that to be a hostile form of response..... I did for sure change the font size (to the next one available) and the colour to simply illustrate/highlight a very significant comment/detail at the start of my post that to me felt as if it had been missed (or maybe misunderstood) after reading the follow-on posts. I thought text editing in this way was an acceptable practice (barring making the text so large that it is obviously taking the p*ss out of another forum user) - so if this isn't the case then again I repeat I'm sorry if my response came across as hostile. I don't come here to make enemies, as I'm sure neither do any of you.
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the apology but that was not necessary! I understand your intention of highlighting your point and I'm sorry if my response was a little harsh. I should have taken the time to try to understand what you were trying to tell us with the bigger font size. I guess those are the struggles of non verbal communication. If we would actually talk our voices would carry so much more information. Written language just leaves that up for interpretation. So I'm sorry too and you're right. No one here is trying to make enemies. Im glad we could work that out!!

Take care,
Sebastian
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote:The cooling fan is a squirrel cage type fan.not terribly noisy but you can definitely hear it if nothing else is making noise. I don't think this is modeled in the A2A 172.

Some lists have you start with just battery and then switch on the alternator. That is the way I do it. The very first time I took my dad up for a flight I switched on the alternator and the low voltage light stayed on. A minute of troubleshooting later I had to scrub the flight. :( A little embarrassing, but better than having to land at a non towered field and looking for a ride home if I lost it while airborne and far away. I know of no benefit to either way.
Okay thanks. :) Too bad I don't have any good recollection of the sound environment in 172R. Overall, I think one of the areas that truly put the 'first impression' with A2A products into whole different league from other products out there is the sound environment: the switches, engines, props, everything - quite professionally done and immediately bringing back some memories! Actually, that's the only reason holding me back of flying the Majestic Q400 - the sounds are too artificial and generic!

In several airplanes, the fan and airflow sounds make up quite a bit of the static environment noise level, it would be cool that these get simulated where applicable. Of course, in most small planes, there is just a slight hum of the fans, easily overcome by the engine whereas in bigger planes, the inverter whine and cooling fan noise is quite prevailing.

-Esa

MadRobbie1
BDG

Post by MadRobbie1 »

Piper_EEWL wrote:....Im glad we could work that out!!
Thanks Sebastian, me too! :D

Happy flying,
Rob

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”