What's this?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
JonasBecsan
Airman First Class

What's this?

Post by JonasBecsan »

Haven't noticed this little hatch before, probably because I usually don't look at the exterior views while in the air. What is it? Intake for the ventilation or something?

Last edited by JonasBecsan on 28 Oct 2015, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: What's this?

Post by Nick - A2A »

JonasBecsan wrote:What is it? Intake for the ventilation or something?
Exactly that. It's opened and closed with the little plunger control over at the bottom right of the instrument panel.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JonasBecsan
Airman First Class

Post by JonasBecsan »

Nick M wrote:
JonasBecsan wrote:What is it? Intake for the ventilation or something?
Exactly that. It's opened and closed with the little plunger control over at the bottom right of the instrument panel.

Nick
Aha! A2A and their extremely detailed modelling. Love it!

smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Post by smokeyupahead »

Now I have to reload fsx to check it out![SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I love this sim!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
David DD

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

The Skylane has the same feature btw :wink: Isn't it great how we can find some more detail by default sometimes :D
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

It's "DOOR ASSY-SIDE AIR VENT". :mrgreen: Standard equipment through the Cessna fleet, luckily. Breaking it would set you back some $300-$400 for a spare in new condition apparently.

That door, btw, lets the air into the heated air distribution, where it may or may not get mixed with heated air, depending on the position of cabin heat knob. The cabin air knob controls the door, letting air into the system and the cabin heat knob adjusts the mixing of that air with the heated air. The openings in the leading edges let the fresh, unheated air directly to the vents in the cabin, unheated.

-Esa

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

AKar wrote:It's "DOOR ASSY-SIDE AIR VENT". :mrgreen: Standard equipment through the Cessna fleet, luckily. Breaking it would set you back some $300-$400 for a spare in new condition apparently.

That door, btw, lets the air into the heated air distribution, where it may or may not get mixed with heated air, depending on the position of cabin heat knob. The cabin air knob controls the door, letting air into the system and the cabin heat knob adjusts the mixing of that air with the heated air. The openings in the leading edges let the fresh, unheated air directly to the vents in the cabin, unheated.

-Esa
That's interesting. So when I only pull the cabin heat where does the air come from? Does that door also open? I'm guessing the heated air comes from the engine compartment and is heated by the exhaust pipe, correct?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you open the cabin heat without opening the cabin air, you get very little hot air flow. Both need to be opened to get a decent amount of flow.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Interesting. Thanks for the reply Oracle. I guess that's something that can't be felt in a simulation :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Piper_EEWL wrote:That's interesting. So when I only pull the cabin heat where does the air come from? Does that door also open? I'm guessing the heated air comes from the engine compartment and is heated by the exhaust pipe, correct?
When you pull just the cabin heat knob, the air comes in through the shroud that is installed over the exhaust muffler. The air is ram air taken from somewhere up front - never paid attention on the hosing arrangement in the only 172R I've seen, but I'd guess it should be immediately obvious if you take the cowls off and check it out (or if someone posts a photo! ;) ). There is no externally visible door that would move for it but it is controlled where the hose from the heater shroud comes to a duct, where it mixes with the fresh ventilating air from the side door, behind the firewall. I'd figure it takes some ventilating air to pick a good flow through the system, Oracle mentions the heat alone does little. Likely opening the ventilating air helps to pull the air through the heating system as well.

-Esa

Wasabi65
Airman First Class

Post by Wasabi65 »

It was foggy here in London this morning when I took her out for a spin. The windows appeared to have condensation on them but a few minutes of cabin heat (with that little flap open) and the windows cleared. I didn't imagine that did I?
It is little touches like this that make this sim so utterly impressive. Although I am still getting the hang of flying it in a straight line, I can't praise the workmanship in the C172 highly enough! :D
ImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Wasabi65 wrote:It was foggy here in London this morning when I took her out for a spin. The windows appeared to have condensation on them but a few minutes of cabin heat (with that little flap open) and the windows cleared. I didn't imagine that did I?
It is little touches like this that make this sim so utterly impressive. Although I am still getting the hang of flying it in a straight line, I can't praise the workmanship in the C172 highly enough! :D
No you didn't imagine it. The windows actually fog up under the right circumstances. Your in for some special treats with the Accusim C172. Stuff failing etc. it's a lot of fun :wink:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Wasabi65 wrote:It was foggy here in London this morning when I took her out for a spin. The windows appeared to have condensation on them but a few minutes of cabin heat (with that little flap open) and the windows cleared. I didn't imagine that did I?
Yes, all part of the simulation, glad you are enjoying it.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”