VOR Identifier

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
lifendet
Airman

VOR Identifier

Post by lifendet »

I never hear the identifier when I pass over a VOR. Any help is appreciated. When I test the identifier I hear the signal but when I cross over the VOR I hear nothing..
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: VOR Identifier

Post by Nick - A2A »

Do you mean you're seeing/hearing a loss of signal as you pass directly over the VOR? This is sometimes known as the 'cone of confusion' or 'cone of silence' and seems to be modelled to some extent in the sim with brief loss of reception. (It probably depends on navdata updates). More info here: http://www.pilotscafe.com/vor-cone-confusion/.

It's also worth pointing-out that when people post that they can't hear the NAV radio morse ident, it's often simply because they haven't pulled-out the "PULL IDENT" knob on the NAV1 or NAV2 radio itself (with a right mouse click in the 172).

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

lifendet
Airman

Post by lifendet »

I hear it when I pull-out the "PULL IDENT" knob on the NAV1 or NAV2 but when flying over the VOR I hear nothing to let me know I have arrived.
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

lifendet wrote:[...] I hear nothing to let me know I have arrived.
No - and this is not what the VOR identifier does. It's basically a morse tone transmitted by the VOR station so that you can positively identify (from listening to the navaid's 3 morse letters) that you've tuned into the right one. It doesn't act as an arrival marker or anything that like.

For this you need to keep an eye on the DME (distance measuring equipment) readout if available, and the needle swing (and 'TO/FROM' flag change) as you actually overfly the station. The 'OFF' flag will tend to briefly display as you pass over the VOR as a result of the 'cone of silence' mentioned above. :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

lifendet
Airman

Post by lifendet »

Nick M wrote:
lifendet wrote:[...] I hear nothing to let me know I have arrived.
No - and this is not what the VOR identifier does. It's basically a morse tone transmitted by the VOR station so that you can positively identify (from listening to the navaid's 3 morse letters) that you've tuned into the right one. It doesn't act as an arrival marker or anything that like.

For this you need to keep an eye on the DME (distance measuring equipment) readout if available, and the needle swing (and 'TO/FROM' flag change) as you actually overfly the station. The 'OFF' flag will tend to briefly display as you pass over the VOR as a result of the 'cone of silence' mentioned above. :)

Nick
I do keep an eye on the DME and the needle swing. I dont know where I saw it but I swear I saw it in a tutorial video for fsx. Obviously I misunderstood. Thanks again.
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”