No EGT

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
aprewett
Staff Sergeant

No EGT

Post by aprewett »

Quick question as I am flying and typing.
I just noticed that my EGT is not working.
Is this critical, should I land?
I cheated and looked in the hanger, but could not find a problem, assuming I was looking in the right spot.
Allan

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: No EGT

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Allan,

I had the same issue with the C182 a couple of days ago. After I reloaded the plane it worked again. I guess it's a small bug hat appears from time to time. But it only appeared once sofar for me.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Thanks

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

You're very welcome. I hope that fixes the issue for you too!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

aprewett wrote:I just noticed that my EGT is not working.
Is this critical, should I land?
Hi Allan,

This is a topic we could spend some time on. In the U.S. there is a process that one must follow to conduct the flight legally so that the aircraft can be considered to be in airworthy condition.

As the PIC, part of the regs require "a determination made by a pilot... that the inoperative instrument or equipment does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft". Just to keep this answer as simple as possible... if the scenario is - an instructor is sitting next to you, he is likely to say the aircraft is still safe to fly.

As intimated by your question, Is this critical, should I land? not only does one make this determination before the flight, but the above determination also applies during the flight as well.

If you want a basic primer, there is a Rainier Flight Service Blog on Inoperative Equipment that will provide a nice introduction to what is involved. The one thing I would add atm - to comply with the regs, not only would the EGT be labeled "inop" but it must be deactivated. A method of compliance in this case (for deactivation) would be for the instrument to be covered so that it could not be referenced by the pilot.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Thanks.
So its a bit of 'pilot makes the call based on exact criteria at that point. They are the boss'
Allan

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”