Oil Leak

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Oil Leak

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I would like to know, is it normal to have a minor oil leak (yellow in the engine oil lines) on a C 172 with approximately 43 hours of service.
The C 172 was set as a new plane. Thanks!
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It can be depending on how the aircraft is kept, environments its operating in etc. And yellow might not mean leak too so unless its says leak you might be good for a while yet.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Lewis - A2A wrote:It can be depending on how the aircraft is kept, environments its operating in etc. And yellow might not mean leak too so unless its says leak you might be good for a while yet.

thanks,
Lewis
Thanks Lewis,
I thought so myself, I will monitor it and see how it develops.
I have one more question however. I have noticed that the color of the oil (when you do oil check) has begun to darken, but after the yellow minor leak warning appeared, the color turned even brighter than new oil. My question is this normal or it might be a glitch in the color scheme?
Thanks!

Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It might be a bug, are you running the latest updater?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Yes, I am with the latest update ( Accu-Sim Update 06_19_2015 ). I will check it again after work today :wink:
Thanks again for the quick response. I really enjoy both C 172 and the Skylane. Excellent aircrafts.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

History repeats itself,

Strangely, I found that my C182 has minor oil leak at almost the exact time, (42.5h on the engine and air frame) the C172 had one a year ago.
Coincidence? :shock:

Cheerz,
Will

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Do you happen to follow your oil consumption?

I understand the current Accusim wear/damage model is "accelerated" in that the issues are met more often and earlier than the expectation would be on a real thing to make the issues more prone to occur in flight sim usage. That aside, in reality also, any poor fittings or poorly set seals have good chances to show up rather quickly on a new engine in many instances. They should be rectified asap: typically any significant leakage is unacceptable, for not many seals are designed to allow leakage past them. When a seal or a fitting starts to leak, the condition typically deteriorates rather soon.

-Esa

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Thanks for the tips Esa. I was not quite sure about the accelerated degrade in the sim, just had my suspicions. Now that you confirm, it explains itself.
I am going to "repair" that minor oil leak not allowing it to grow to a "red" warning. ;)

Cheerz,
Will

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Will,

Not quite confirming it, but that's what I understand from what Scott has said around these forums a few times. :)

-Esa

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

AKar wrote:Will,

Not quite confirming it, but that's what I understand from what Scott has said around these forums a few times. :)

-Esa
That's what I meant Esa, confirming my suspicions, that I had about the accelerated degrade. ;)
(I don't remember what exactly came next on the C172, to check if it would reappear on the C182 :))

Cheerz,
Will

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”