VH-DHS Repaint - GIMP question

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
FuzzyDropbear
Airman

VH-DHS Repaint - GIMP question

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Hi guys,

My current repaint project is VH-DHS, which is the hire 172 from the local aero club as per below.

I've usually done my repaints in Photoshop but this time I'm trying GIMP because my photoshop is quite dated. Anyway, I'm having issues getting nice smooth lines compared to what I've been able to get in the past. I've tried exporting using the DDS exporter for GIMP as well as through DXTBMP and the results are pretty much the same. Is there something I'm doing wrong this time? It seems like the lines aren't being anti-aliased or something like that. I've disabled mipmaps, but can't think of anything else to do

to compare with the lines that I've usually had;

My thoughts are there's something I'm doing wrong when I'm drawing the lines (usually by creating paths) as the logos and text I'm using are turning out ok.

Cheers for any thoughts and/or pointers,

Rob

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Re: VH-DHS Repaint - GIMP question

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Well, I don't know what I did, but I just redrew some of the lines on the side and they came up a lot better.

I guess I'll keep working on it :?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

this might help?
http://registry.gimp.org/node/27872

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Thanks Lewis, I was creating the lines by paths and I'm not sure what I did, but it does seem to be working now. Not sure what I did, the only thing I can come up with was that the original lines were anti-aliased and smooth, but if you use the fill tool and then try to fill in all the other anti-aliased pixels on the inside of the stroked path, it creates a hard edge around the polygon.. So that's what I must've done.

Anakinb
Airman Basic

Post by Anakinb »

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Hi guys,

My current repaint project is VH-DHS, which is the hire 172 from the local aero club as per below.

I've usually done my repaints in Photoshop but this time I'm trying GIMP because my photoshop is quite dated. Anyway, I'm having issues getting nice smooth lines compared to what I've been able to get in the past. I've tried exporting using the DDS exporter for GIMP as well as through DXTBMP and the results are pretty much the same. Is there something I'm doing wrong this time? It seems like the lines aren't being anti-aliased or something like that. I've disabled mipmaps, but can't think of anything else to do

to compare with the lines that I've usually had;

My thoughts are there's something I'm doing wrong when I'm drawing the lines (usually by creating paths) as the logos and text I'm using are turning out ok.

Cheers for any thoughts and/or pointers,

Rob
Hey man, where can i download your skin/paint job from

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Hi, I don't know if you are still having this issue since this thread is dated but I solved that problem by lessening the force of the brush to about 20-30. Usually about 25.

ImageImage
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”