C172 Airspeed Temperature Adjustment.

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Woodrow
Airman Basic

C172 Airspeed Temperature Adjustment.

Post by Woodrow »

Hi Guys. Hope all is well. Could I trouble someone to explain to me how I adjust the temperature at altitude gauge within the airspeed indicator. The way I've been doing it is to move the temperature numbers to match the outside air temperature but whenever I check my ground speed it never matches up with what the gauge is saying. To get the speed don't I look at the speed numbers on the inner white dial. Hope someone can help or refer me to a manual that will explain it to me.
Thanks Folks

Mark. ....

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: C172 Airspeed Temperature Adjustment.

Post by AKar »

The numbers within the window represent altitudes. To get TAS, you'll move the altitude number that matches your current altitude to align with current outside temperature. For instance, if you fly at 8000 ft and OAT is -5°C, you'll move the number 8 in the window to appropriate position in between 0°C and -10°C lines.

-Esa

Woodrow
Airman Basic

Post by Woodrow »

AKar wrote:The numbers within the window represent altitudes. To get TAS, you'll move the altitude number that matches your current altitude to align with current outside temperature. For instance, if you fly at 8000 ft and OAT is -5°C, you'll move the number 8 in the window to appropriate position in between 0°C and -10°C lines.

-Esa
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go right now. 1st class. Much appreciated. Mark.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You need to match to the current pressure altitude with the altimeter set to 29.92 in hg, or you can do the mental math to approximate. It can add up to a measurable difference.

The result aa Esa noted is TAS and not ground speed. To determine the ground speed you will need to account for the winds aloft.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”