Staff Sergeant

Quick cold start of my aging A2A Cessna 172

Post by RageShade1 »

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Quick cold start of my aging A2A Cessna 172

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hehe cool :)

It's great to see the dynamic Accu-sim simulation engine in action and being enjoyed. I admit that sometimes I'll just load up the sim for some fun with an old junker doing nothing more than enjoying starting her and listening to hear how the engine runs given the use and few worn or damaged parts.

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Quick cold start of my aging A2A Cessna 172

Post by Caldemeyn »

You shouldn't turn the engine off with a key, but with mixture. 8) With the key you can check from time to time if the mags are properly grounded.

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

yeah i know i just like using the key to shut it off, probably not good to have it dumping fuel into the engine shutting it off with the key haha

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

And to lewis, yes it is haha i listen to this thing all the time, Its my favorite A2A aircraft still, mostly due to the hours on it haha, i managed to get 10 hours of fuel at 90knots on my last flight..You can really make this thing sip fuel if u want to lol...only problems that occurred was a clogged fuel filter and a slight oil leak lol but it ran smooth Burned about 2 quarts of oil :)

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Looks like I really need to work on my starting "skills" Its still a 50/50 shot with me and sometimes I have to use the the auto-start :oops:

Its all good...all an opportunity to learn something

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

In my opinion that's half the fun. Not knowing if it'll start today. But don't worry you'll get it right and then you'll be able start her 90% of the time :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Great video, I'm still very new to the A2A Cessna, and I'm TERRIBLE at starting the engine, try until I wear out the battery and burn up the starter, then replace them and auto-start. I'll try to follow your video, I think my problem is too long a delay between priming and starting, may be a lot easier without the yoke in the way.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

jsbrewster1 wrote:Great video, I'm still very new to the A2A Cessna, and I'm TERRIBLE at starting the engine, try until I wear out the battery and burn up the starter, then replace them and auto-start. I'll try to follow your video, I think my problem is too long a delay between priming and starting, may be a lot easier without the yoke in the way.
Hey Jeff,

If you're all updated and your fluid levels (fuel and oil) are correct (which I would suppose if she fires up with auto start) it's probably a priming issue. This will take some getting used to. Here's a real world Cessna tutorial on how to prime correctly linked in a different thread:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 15#p345843

Also you need to be careful if the outside temps are high. The higher the temperature the less priming is required. If she doesn't fire after you primed the engine it's probably flooded. Open the throttle to 75 - 100% and put the mixture in the cutoff position and try again. If she fires close the throttle and advance the mixture to full rich.

As I said it'll take some getting used to but in my opinion that's half the fun :wink:

Take care
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Piper,

Thanks so much! I kept assuming I was under-priming, when in reality I was way over-priming, I'll work on my technique. And you're right, one of the things I love about the A2A simulation is the level of detail you can immerse yourself in. I'm still very much a newbie at it, but it's a lot of fun learning. Thanks again for your help.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm glad if I could be of help. Keep practicing. It's funny how getting a sim aircraft started can be so rewarding :lol:

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

I find that on a normal fsx day in the 50F range between 3-5 seconds on the fuel pump is a perfect prime 5 seconds is a tad to much though but with the 5 second prime it always starts lol, I just loaded a backup file of the 172 that's been siting 2 months no oil additive outside xD, has a corroded battery that was down to 19v, and lots of water in the fuel as well as yellow alternator starter and fuelpump, but it started pretty easy all things considered, took a scary long time for oil pressure to build though lol oil pumps yellow as well, but the good old Lycoming 360 refuses to break on me :) just did a 4 hour flight to burn off the cobwebs in the engine bay

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I love it. Nothing like a beat up plane and trying to see if she starts and how she flies.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hehe cool :)

It's great to see the dynamic Accu-sim simulation engine in action and being enjoyed. I admit that sometimes I'll just load up the sim for some fun with an old junker doing nothing more than enjoying starting her and listening to hear how the engine runs given the use and few worn or damaged parts.

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only just joined the board a few minute ago and while I have been on FSX for a long time, I have only just experienced A2A with my first purchase, the C172. My goodness............amazing.

Much like what Lewis wrote, I really enjoy starting the Engine up and listening to how it sounds. It is just amazing....
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”