Turn Cordinator

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Turn Cordinator

Post by aprewett »

Hello,
I know its not used much by some simmers due to the lack of other inputs to the body.
But I do, glance at it when turning in none stressful situations.
My question; has some thing changed with the latest up date?
Previously I used to turn with the rudder first and then move the aileron to suit to keep the ball centred.
The rudder first seemed to work as I remember something about, this forces one wing in front the other and moving faster thus creating more lift.
From memory, as I had a break from flying for a week or more and came back to find the update, when I did this for example to the left, the ball would move left and fiddling with the airelon's into the turn would move the ball to centre.
Now it seems to be the opposite.
Thanks
Allan

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Turn Cordinator

Post by Oracle427 »

You should always use the aileron and rudder together in a coordinated fashion when turning. Practice alternating rolling left and right to 30 degrees of bank while keeping the nose fixed precisely in place on a distant point on the horizon. This will help you get used to the amount of rudder input required to coordinate your turns by pressure.

As for the example you provided. The ball should move to the right if you apply left rudder without any aileron input. The expression that comes to mind is "step on the ball" to get the ball centered in the turn coordinator.

Not sure if anything has changed because I really haven't relied on the ball in the past.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

aprewett wrote:Hello,
I know its not used much by some simmers due to the lack of other inputs to the body.
But I do, glance at it when turning in none stressful situations.
My question; has some thing changed with the latest up date?
Previously I used to turn with the rudder first and then move the aileron to suit to keep the ball centred.
The rudder first seemed to work as I remember something about, this forces one wing in front the other and moving faster thus creating more lift.
From memory, as I had a break from flying for a week or more and came back to find the update, when I did this for example to the left, the ball would move left and fiddling with the airelon's into the turn would move the ball to centre.
Now it seems to be the opposite.
Thanks
Allan
The secret to good turn coordination is to get your eyes away from the ball and outside the airplane. Watch the nose as you enter a turn as you use aileron and rudder together (ALWAYS TOGETHER). If you have the right amount of rudder for the aileron being applied the nose will TEMPORARILY PIN on the horizon for the first few degrees of turn then follow the turn. Same exiting the turn. While in the turn because of the over bank and under bank inherent with steep and shallow banked turns what I always recommend is to monitor your turn and make whatever adjustments are necessary with the rudder and aileron to maintain coordination. In the actual plane you can feel the turn as coordinated. In the sim this is denied you so going to the visuals for reference on turn quality is the way to go. Entering and exiting a turn watch for any leading or lagging by the nose as you use the controls. This leading or lagging.or the absence of same is your best turn coordinator.
Do this for a while and you won't even feel the need to reference the ball. It's there if needed but try to become dependent on the outside visuals as THAT is the right way to fly the airplane.
Dudley Henriques

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Thanks guys.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”