MAC percentage on W&B page

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
simurqq
Airman First Class

MAC percentage on W&B page

Post by simurqq »

I'm not a pilot, nor have I ever flown a real Cessna but reading the opinions of real-world pilots, I have always considered any A2A aircraft as "the closest rendition of the real thing".

Hence comes my question (a wish?): Is it possible to include a section on Weight and Balance menu showing MAC percentage? For my W&B calculations I've tried as a workaround Herve's great AFSD tool to verify the data but it refuses reading data from the .air file.

That would be even more "as real as it gets"... :)
Thanks!

Victor Q.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: MAC percentage on W&B page

Post by Oracle427 »

As a teaching tool, I think it might be nifty to show what A2A has computed the W&B moment and inches as so that one can compare their answer to the software. The user would still need to follow their own process to compute and verify the values themselves.

In the C172 POH W&B section, there are two chart that shows if the computed CG and moments are within the fore/aft limits.

This is computed using the information about "stations" as depicted in the POH. The pilot inputs the weight at each station and then multiplies the weight by the distance of the station from the reference point which is at about the firewall on a C172. This will provide a lb-in moment for each weight.

In the POH, the average positions for each station are: front seats 37, rear seats 73, baggage A 95, baggage B 123, fuel 48. Best to download the POH and have a look at the W&B section for details.

Sum all the weights up, sum all the moments up and then divide the total moments by the total weight. The answer is your computed CG position in inches. This is important to determine if the aircraft will perform within the parameters as it was tested for certification.

The second check is to see if the moment vs the total aircraft weight is within range as that will relate to the effectiveness of the controls.

There are two boxes in the graphs as the aircraft is also certified for the utility envelope under tighter CG and moment limits.

It only takes a couple of minutes to do a W&B form. I don't know if we have an actual CG and moment arm for the airplane that the A2A 172 was modeled after. You can slap together a spreadsheet to do this in a couple of minutes and just revise the weights of fuel and px during your preflight preparation.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

simurqq wrote:Is it possible to include a section on Weight and Balance menu showing MAC percentage?
I do not think (in my limited experience) I have seen a GA airplane - i.e. small aircraft like the C172 - have the CG expressed in terms of Percent MAC. Fwiw, usually it is expressed as a distance from the aircraft datum. And then there's a table / chart to check the C.G. and/or Moment locations.
simurqq wrote:For my W&B calculations I've tried as a workaround Herve's great AFSD tool to verify the data but it refuses reading data from the .air file.
In addition to Oracle's post... checkout Scott's post re: Online weight and balance. The link Scott provided to the Hill Flying Club's N634SP is a great tool for getting acquainted with W&B with respect to the A2A C172.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

simurqq
Airman First Class

Post by simurqq »

Thanks for your tips and extensive info!!!

Well, in fact I have already a tool (skyLOGX) which helps me to find CG location and MAC percentage for various FSX aircraft including the Cessnas. I was thinking about verifying my numbers against those calculated by Accu-Sim. Since AFSD and Accu-Sim don't (publicly) provide MAC data for A2A aircraft, I've found a workaround using AirWrench's Weight and Balance menus which show MAC% of the empty weight aircraft. I then use this number as one of the resources for my W&B calculations for now...
Thanks!

Victor Q.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”