Keeping the power on approach, speed, flaps.

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Keeping the power on approach, speed, flaps.

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hello all.

I would like to ask about your personal techniques of getting the plane down, things like rpm, altitudes, preffered flap settings, do you slip the plane often, any tricks up your sleeves :mrgreen: ?

Do you land flapless often and how to do it reasonably ? I find the bird quite slippery without them and really need to be careful with the energy if i want to hear the stall horn 8)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Keeping the power on approach, speed, flaps.

Post by DHenriques_ »

Caldemeyn wrote:Hello all.

I would like to ask about your personal techniques of getting the plane down, things like rpm, altitudes, preffered flap settings, do you slip the plane often, any tricks up your sleeves :mrgreen: ?

Do you land flapless often and how to do it reasonably ? I find the bird quite slippery without them and really need to be careful with the energy if i want to hear the stall horn 8)
Every landing is actually a different situation as the variables, especially the wind and the aircraft landing weight will be different . It's for this reason you should think of landings as being a different scenario each time you prepare to make one and get into the habit of visualizing the pattern AS IT EXISTS, with you doing with the aircraft what's necessary to put the airplane where you want it to be at all times within the pattern to arrive over the runway ready to land the aircraft.

The name of the game with landings is NOT being rigid in your thinking about the numbers but in being completely fluid and adaptive to the ongoing situation.
It's fine to have basic tasks to be performed such as flap position and power setting but not fine to get nailed down into thinking these things have to be achieved at exactly a point in space. Generally is fine. Exact will become confusing as you go from one landing to the next finding that what you did and where you did it was fine for the last landing but not working as before for the approach you're flying now.

When we teach landings as instructors, naturally we give you points in the pattern where you are tasked to perform something. As instructors we have to give you a starting point from which to form your "landing plan".
But as you become more proficient, we want to to take these basic steps and become more fluid as to where and when you perform them; this based on your improved awareness of where the airplane is now and where you need it to be next in your pattern.

The bottom line on all this is simply to fly each pattern using a proper entry, then "adjust" to the present situation with the goal of putting the airplane where it has to be at the proper speed, altitude, and cfg, to land it.
Normal landings are made with flaps. A no flap landing is no big deal really and easily accomplished if you have the runway available to handle the extended flare required to reach a proper touchdown.
Dudley Henriques

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thanks for a reply, it cleared my mind on the issue, i guess i just need to be flexible and do what is needed at the moment.

Most of the time i land at flaps 20 and i feel like the plane divebombs a little to the strip, like im not really able to slow it down with the throttle (would you recommend cutting it earlier in such a scenario ? I keep it around 1500 through the most of the approach) real slowing down starts after i cut the power somewhere over the fence and then power off to the end. :)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Caldemeyn wrote:Thanks for a reply, it cleared my mind on the issue, i guess i just need to be flexible and do what is needed at the moment.

Most of the time i land at flaps 20 and i feel like the plane dive bombs a little to the strip, like im not really able to slow it down with the throttle (would you recommend cutting it earlier in such a scenario ? I keep it around 1500 through the most of the approach) real slowing down starts after i cut the power somewhere over the fence and then power off to the end.
With only 20 degrees of flaps entering your flare you will float a lot more then you will carrying full flaps.
With 20 degrees you are increasing the lift on the wing without that much increase in drag. With full flaps you are deep into drag rise allowing a much slower landing. Remember though that with full flaps you move the lift curve forward which means you will reach stall at a lower angle of attack so expect that performance from the wing.
Generally speaking, use full flaps for your landings and concentrate on having the right airspeed as you reach your flare point over the end of the runway. Flare properly, hold the airplane in a landing attitude, hold it off through the flare, and plan to reach stall just as you touch down and your landings should be just fine..
Practice is the key !
DH

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Thanks again, its great to read such detailed info, try to apply the newly aquired knowledge and then see it work. :) The thrill of learning. :mrgreen:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Caldemeyn wrote:Thanks again, its great to read such detailed info, try to apply the newly aquired knowledge and then see it work. :) The thrill of learning. :mrgreen:
No sweat. If it helps any, I've been at it for a bit now and am still learning .
Enjoy the A2A experience !
DH

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I love the free training we get on this forum from experts.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”