Start up procedure

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
davenicoll
Airman First Class

Re: Start up procedure

Post by davenicoll »

Forgive me for chirping in as not a RW pilot so please correct me if I'm wrong....

But in those simple lists produced should not the Beacon be switched on very early and most certainly before engine start??

Dave

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes Dave, Beacon should be on as the engine is running. It is my understanding that essentially beacon on means you are 'active' Also strobes are often but I don't think HAVE to be used in conjunction with the beacon. They are classed as anti collision lights in the air.

Though I'm not sure if these rules change country to country? I'm sure one of the experienced CFI's can chime in and correct us here.

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

Beacon on before you make yourself dangerous to those around you. I like to have it on before the mags go live, but definitely prior to engine start.

The normal procedure for the strobe is to keep it offf until you are taking the active runway, i e as you accept the clearance to line up. This is for two reasons. First, to indicate to other traffic that you are taking the active. The idea is that an aircraft on final or on the takeoff expect no strobes around their runway, so a flashing strobe will alert to a possible runway incursion. Second, flashing strobes all over the airport at night creates a horrible visual environment making life hard for those who need to keep an eye on what's going on, i e other crews, drivers and last but not least ATC.

I once had jet exhaust down my neck as I was chocking a 757 or suchlike, as an overeager crew switched the beacon off too soon. You really can't hear engines running on a busy ramp, so the beacons are important. No, I wasn't happy and I made sure they knew it.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

As mentioned, Beacon on before engine start. However, I have to disagree with you, ft, about the strobes. I am going to quote a couple sources.

First, from the AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual):

4−3−23. Use of Aircraft Lights

e. Prior to commencing taxi, it is recommended to turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights (if equipped). To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.

Second, from an AOPA Flight Training article Light'em Up:

Unfortunately, some pilots believe that it’s appropriate to always keep strobe lights off while taxiing on the ground, so that they do not impair the vision of other pilots. However, it may be better to be temporarily blind than blindsided. In the worst case, you may impair someone’s night vision, but at least they’ll be fully aware of exactly where you are.

One thing I found out from a short stint in law enforcement... people ignore sirens, they ignore the light bar... but a little strobe in the center of the dash gets people's attention. That experience just reaffirmed my past (flight) training.

I am firm believer in turning "everything" on, unless you have a *very* good reason to leave them off (as noted above). So if it creates a problem for someone, sure - at night, I'm not going to sit at the approach end on a taxiway, with someone on short final and have my landing light / strobes blazing away.

So whether to avoid a mid-air collision, or to be seen on the ground (taxi clearance violation, runway incursions etc.) I want to give the other guy / gal the best opportunity to avoid me.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

One little trick I use is to leave the beacon switch on after you test it. When I first enter the cockpit I turn master on, all switches (minus fuel pump) on, avionics down, flaps down. When I see the avionics are good, I turn them off. Walk around real quick to see all the lights, turn off master, turn off everything minus the beacon. When you turn on the master for the before start checklist, the beacon will already be on for you.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I do wonder what variants of this stuff there is internationally and even maybe depending on the sort of strip you train on,
If an airport or just a small grass strip flying club.

Cheers,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

It's a good point, Lewis... I think a lot of the variety just plain happens from one instructor to another.

For example, the chief pilot of one flight school I worked for - he absolutely hated to hear radio calls in the pattern (this at our uncontrolled field - 4000'+ paved reliever for KIND). My answer to him was "sorry... I will be making those calls" i.e. when inbound to the airport and usually reporting each leg in the pattern.

A very nice surprise from him one day: he was with a student in a twin, inbound on the localizer from one direction - and I on final with a student landing the opposite direction. Absolutely not a single radio call from him / his student... and not much separation to avoid them. I was incensed... but that is the kind of nonsense that can go on because an instructor decides to adamantly follow certain ways.

Scott had an example in another thread with power settings and running "oversquare".
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

I was taught that if there is power to the plane, such as battery on, then beacon is to be on as the aircraft is attended, being walked around, or engines starting at any moment. Taxi was with nav/formation lights and strobes/landing lights on after clearance for runway :D But I am sure there are other procedures in other locations.

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

Ozzie,

FAA H-8083 Airplane Flying Handbook: "The use of strobe lights is normally deferred until taxiing onto the active runway".

----

Skybrary.aero, "The Single Point Reference for Aviation Safety Knowledge", run by Eurocontrol in partnership with a number of heavy actors including ICAO, the FSF and the International Federation of Airworthiness:
"Strobe Lights - When installed, strobe lights are usually positioned near the trailing edge of the wing tips and may also be installed on the tail of the aircraft. Strobes are high intensity white lights which flash at a regular interval. They are normally turned on when entering an active runway for takeoff and turned off when leaving the runway after landing. In many cases, the strobe light switch will have an AUTO position which will result in activation and deactivation of the lights based on weight on wheels. Strobes can also be used to provide additional visibility when crossing an active runway during ground manoevering."

----
Air Services Australia tell us that little can be done to mitigate the verified hazardous effects of strobes. They conclude that
"if the aeroplane is fitted with a strobe light, turn it on before entering an active runway, and leave it on until the aeroplane has cleared the active after landing.

----

IFALPA.

----
Airbus SOPs:

"Light up the aircraft and make it more visible when entering a runway to
takeoff or when taxiing into position and holding for takeoff, as required by
Airbus SOPs (e.g.: switching on the strobe lights (if installed) when entering the
runway to line up clearly shows to other aircraft that an aircraft is about to take
off),"

"When leaving the landing runway, switch off the strobe lights - if installed - to
show to other aircraft that you have vacated the runway"

----

AIM, as quoted in this very forum: "−3−23. Use of Aircraft Lights

e. Prior to commencing taxi, it is recommended to turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights (if equipped). To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel."

My boldface. And they will, unless it is bright daylight.

The fact that the strobes are omitted from the list of lights to turn on prior to taxi is a clue in itself, I'd say.

They will not enhance visibility. Flashing lights make it harder to distinguish what is going on, due to the way our visual perception works. They hinder our ability to connect other lights into a representation of e g an aircraft.

The exception would be if there is one aircraft. You'll see it better if it has the strobe on. If there are two aircraft, the strobes will just confuse the picture.

The comparison with emergency vehicle strobes isn't valid, as in one case you're trying to alert people who are not looking, in the other you are trying to aid people who are actively looking.

----

The AOPA article you referred goes on to state that it is a bit more complex regarding strobes. "The FAA says that pilots are allowed to turn those off when he or she feels they create a visual hazard."

And they do, every time there's another aircraft or vehicle in the vicinity.

The bit you quoted states that it is a bad idea to always keep the strobes off on the ground, which is correct. They should go on as you are taking the active.

If you are the sole person doing anything at an uncontrolled field out in the boondocks, then by all means flash'em if you've got'em. FAA again: "Strobe lights should not be illuminated if it will have an adverse effect on others." Which is every time someone else is around and it's not bright daylight.

----

Also from AOPA:

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students ... night.html

"As a courtesy to other pilots, don't turn on your strobes until you're on the runway. Flashing strobes can temporarily blind a pilot or cause vertigo in a pilot on approach."

----

Add to this a few years of making a living in the air.
Last edited by ft on 07 Nov 2014, 19:18, edited 3 times in total.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

taildraggin68 wrote:I was taught that if there is power to the plane, such as battery on, then beacon is to be on as the aircraft is attended, being walked around,
Whoever taught you that should receive a little teaching of his/her own. You can turn the nav lights on to indicate that the aircraft is being worked on if you see fit, or if the aircraft is parked where there's a risk of trucks etc hitting the wingtips. The beacon is the signal to beware of propellers, jet blast and movement. Other people on the ramp do not care if you are performing a walk-around but they do need to know if there's jet blast behind the aircraft. If you have the beacon on for the walk-around, everyone will be making detours to avoid your jet blast.

Sazoga
Airman First Class

Post by Sazoga »

Yeah, strobes are anti-collision lights, right. But I never saw an airplane taxiing with strobes! Especially at night or at foggy days.. So I've learned to switch the strobes on (together with landing lights) with line-up clearance and to turn them off after vacating the runway (together with landing lights).

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Hey ft,

I was clear on the AFH reference.

With 10 years active flying and half of that as a CFI / CFII / MEI / MEII and my experience as a road deputy, I totally disagree with your statements "They will not enhance visibility" and "...will have an adverse effect on others - Which is every time someone else is around and it's not bright daylight."

Note your AOPA reference to Night Flying was exactly what I said. And your FAA link the same as the AIM recommendations.

Safety is my first priority... what others do is on them. What I posted originally is how I operated and how I taught students. Company policy could alter that. But until that time, experience tells me I have no reason to alter my procedures - spelled out in the AIM which provides information which reflects examples of operating techniques and procedures which may be requirements in other federal publications or regulations. It is made available solely to assist pilots in executing their responsibilities required by other publications.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
A & P Mechanic

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Great Ozzie wrote:Hey ft,

I was clear on the AFH reference.

With 10 years active flying and half of that as a CFI / CFII / MEI / MEII and my experience as a road deputy, I totally disagree with your statements "They will not enhance visibility" and "...will have an adverse effect on others - Which is every time someone else is around and it's not bright daylight."

Note your AOPA reference to Night Flying was exactly what I said. And your FAA link the same as the AIM recommendations.

Safety is my first priority... what others do is on them. What I posted originally is how I operated and how I taught students. Company policy could alter that. But until that time, experience tells me I have no reason to alter my procedures - spelled out in the AIM which provides information which reflects examples of operating techniques and procedures which may be requirements in other federal publications or regulations. It is made available solely to assist pilots in executing their responsibilities required by other publications.

-Rob
Normal procedure for us was to activate strobes as part of the line up check.
Dudley Henriques

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

ft wrote:
taildraggin68 wrote:I was taught that if there is power to the plane, such as battery on, then beacon is to be on as the aircraft is attended, being walked around,
Whoever taught you that should receive a little teaching of his/her own. You can turn the nav lights on to indicate that the aircraft is being worked on if you see fit, or if the aircraft is parked where there's a risk of trucks etc hitting the wingtips. The beacon is the signal to beware of propellers, jet blast and movement. Other people on the ramp do not care if you are performing a walk-around but they do need to know if there's jet blast behind the aircraft. If you have the beacon on for the walk-around, everyone will be making detours to avoid your jet blast.
Um just a small government agency that pounded flightline safety into our heads every time they felt the need to give us continuing education. An energized airplane is an inherently dangerous airplane and I will leave it at that. Certain aircraft moved only on completely dark airfields with no lighting at all until departed or hangered...go figure :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

ft wrote:You can turn the nav lights on to indicate that the aircraft is being worked on if you see fit, or if the aircraft is parked where there's a risk of trucks etc hitting the wingtips. The beacon is the signal to beware of propellers, jet blast and movement. Other people on the ramp do not care if you are performing a walk-around but they do need to know if there's jet blast behind the aircraft. If you have the beacon on for the walk-around, everyone will be making detours to avoid your jet blast.
Yes, way you tell it is the way it's done at the 'big airports' around here at least! Generally the navigation lights are left on whenever the aircraft is powered on apron. That is, almost always. The beacons should be turned on, in jet aircraft, just before commencing the pushback/ground movement under tow, or right before the engine start, whichever comes first. This minimizes disruption to the ground crews and vehicle traffic. The beacon light basically signals that the aircraft is having its engines on or about to start them, or is moving or about to move - either on its own power or otherwise. When shutting down, they should come off immediately when shutdowns are confirmed and the traffic/ground crews may pass/approach the aircraft at their discretion.

What I might add, is that sometimes the beacons need to be interpreted at one's own discretion: if it obvious that the beacon is on for lights check, or because the aircraft was just towed in (which you can tell for example from that the ground power is plugged in and someone is throwing in the chocks or they are in place already), you may disregard the beacons. If in doubt, then I assume that it is to move or start up, and give a way. :)

In small planes, I'd advice to switch on the beacon whenever the mags are hot, though that pretty much equals just before engine start. I am aware that many prefer to have the beacon 'permanently' on whenever the small plane is powered, but I don't think that's the best way to do it. It lacks any significance then, though on plus side it is extra easy to spot a plane on which someone forgot the battery on! :mrgreen: But in the chaos that prevails at the larger airports, it is just confusing at first, and annoying thereafter, if the beacons were switched on whenever one starts to play with his radios.

Edit: About those strobes... my personal opinion, and only my personal opinion, is that on a small airplane, just have them on as you wish. On some planes, such as Embraers, they are annoyingly bright - on night time, distractingly bright even, so in general I think it is a good practice to switch them off on apron. But then, a small aircraft is very much harder to spot at night, so when taxiing, I don't think its bad idea to have the strobes on. One might as well check it out one night: leave the plane for a moment with navs + beacons on, and once both with and without strobes on, and both times look at the plane some 50-100 meters off, preferably through a windshield or a dirty window. One may notice how hard it is to spot, especially if the beacon is an antique rotating one, and if both of you were moving. Also see if the strobes improve things, and if they are more of distraction.

On dark nights, the small planes move like ghosts on the aprons. Smart pilots keep a good look out and some even take the trouble of cycling their landing and taxi lights briefly if they are not absolutely sure that the vehicle drivers or other pilots who could cross their path have spotted them. Thumbs up! :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”