under the wings?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Archimago
Airman Basic

under the wings?

Post by Archimago »

I am struggling to see under the wing for lining up for landings etc. I know this is a high wing aircraft,but in real life training I easily can duck around to see what I need to see--not so easy in sim.
Is it possible to make the wings invisible or at least mostly transparent so that I can practice manevers for ppl exam between flight lessons?

maybe a repaint?

Thanks

kapjadi
Senior Airman

Re: under the wings?

Post by kapjadi »

I use trackir5.

nojwod
Senior Airman

Post by nojwod »

in real life you move your head around, with TrackIR you can do the same in the sim. Asking for a mod like transparent wings would remove a large realism factor from your purchase.

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

You can also use a camera add-on (EZCA or the Live Camera portion of OpusFSX/FSI) to define different views that allow you to "move your head" to see below the wing, etc. Not as good as TrackIR but cheaper... :wink:

Tym

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

Shift-Backspace will lower your eye level
Shift-Enter will raise your eye level
Ctrl-Space will return to the default eye postition
So, look left (for example), lower the eye level and that is about as true to life as one might expect. You'll have to ask Wonder Woman about the invisible wing.

You might set up your external spot view on the right to look past the plane to the see things to the left; or spot to left to see right. Then you can toggle between cockpit and wide angle views. I use this method to obtain a wide angle view.

These are solutions that do not require purchase of an addon. I have TrackIR and it is probably the best way to get a realistic experience such as you want.

Wayne

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I am not a RW pilot, I don't have TrackIR but have always liked flying the C172 and fought with your same dilemma. To compensate in the sim I set the heading bug to runway heading before entering the circuit.

I make my distance from the airport a bit larger than I do with the Cherokee so I will have a decent base leg that let's me go wings level so I can eyeball the end of the runway for my next turn to final. For each circuit turn I am looking at the heading bug and placing it at the 3-6-9-12 o'clock position depending on which turn I make. No need to see the runway during the turn because the heading bug let's me know where I am in relation to the airport runway.

Doing this takes the pressure off having to see through the wing and will give you almost perfect turns if you make them all at the same turn rate.
Last edited by jeepinforfun on 01 Oct 2014, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Cheapest and easiest way is to gently rock the wings a little, see what you needed to see, and continue as you were.

Joe
Joe

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For now just use the default movement keys in FSX and remember you can remap these in FSX!

I would suggest though from what your are wanting looking into TrackIR and the free FaceTrackNoIR. Give them both a Google and watch some you tube videos on them to get an idea on how they are used.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

A side note about TrackIR.
I have had it but don't use it. The reason is the difficulty in moving dials etc in the VC cockpit. As the plane moves about and TrackIR picks up small movements by me, I find it very difficult to stay locked onto the dial.
This is very frustrating as in RLife my hand would be latched on.
I asked about this many months ago, possibly on this site. But it would be great to have a lock-on ability. Like a right mouse click or something.
Its fine if you have external controlers and don't use the VC cockpit.
With something like this, I would love to go back to TrackIR.
Allan

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

aprewett wrote:A side note about TrackIR.
I have had it but don't use it. The reason is the difficulty in moving dials etc in the VC cockpit. As the plane moves about and TrackIR picks up small movements by me, I find it very difficult to stay locked onto the dial.
This is very frustrating as in RLife my hand would be latched on.
I asked about this many months ago, possibly on this site. But it would be great to have a lock-on ability. Like a right mouse click or something.
Its fine if you have external controlers and don't use the VC cockpit.
With something like this, I would love to go back to TrackIR.
Allan
Ahh, but that problem has several solutions.

- You could have a hotkey to disable the TrackIR just the second that you need to do programming of radios and other fine tuning. I do this quite a bit - especially if I need to stay focused on a part for several seconds. I have the "ctrl + C" keys mapped to do this. You could map a key on your yoke or joystick too.

- Configure the sensitivity to be lower when in the "neutral zone" - the viewpoint which is your "normal" camera placement. This makes the TrackIR less sensitive to the small bobbings of ones head, and will give less movement in the sim. Only when you really start doing big movements it will start turning away.

- Have a hotkey for the "sensitivity-mode" (default at "V"?). This will give extra "slow-motion" to whatever you have configured in my point above. This will make precision even easier.

All three combined will make TrackIR do wonders. I had to tinker a bit until I found a "profile" that I was happy with. All kinds of changes are possible, and while it does take some work to find out (or download others profiles - they can be shared) it is so fantastically worth it. I never, ever, fly without TrackIR. I don't know how I did it back in the day... :-D
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

I believe by default, F9 toggles TrackIR on and off. If not by default, somehow I programmed it thus.

Wayne

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I use it exactly as Medtner wrote. I have a button mapped on my stick to stop TrackIR and a second one mapped to re-center the view.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes remapping the trackIR on/off switch would solve your issue in a heartbeat Allan.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”