newbie question re P effect

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
hampshireandy
Airman First Class

newbie question re P effect

Post by hampshireandy »

Hi Im new to the a2a 172 and ive noticed it drifts to left when climbing out and cruising. I assume this is rrplicating the p effect of real aircraft but does this mean having to constantly use right rudder throughout the flight? Or is there anything in the settings to overcome this?
Many thanks
andy

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: newbie question re P effect

Post by Scott - A2A »

Andy,

Correct, this is Accu-Sim simulating the forces like p-factor and torque, among some other minor things than influence how a plane flies through the air.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The effect will increase and decrease throughout your normal flight phases and depending on your airmanship. Once you settle into a cruise though you should be golden once the aircraft is correctly setup.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

hampshireandy
Airman First Class

Post by hampshireandy »

I know about setting the elevator trim for level flight but how would I trim for level flight once in the cruise to counteract the left dtift without there being any rudder trim on the 172?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Just like in the real aircraft you need to use the controls.a very light touch does the trick in cruise.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

hampshireandy wrote:I know about setting the elevator trim for level flight but how would I trim for level flight once in the cruise to counteract the left dtift without there being any rudder trim on the 172?
Your options are:
- Keep some pressure on the ailerons
- Keep some pressure on your rudder
- Use the autopilot

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

hampshireandy
Airman First Class

Post by hampshireandy »

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, i didnt realise there was an autopilot in the 172 so i guess that is a good option for longer flights!
Andy

hampshireandy
Airman First Class

Post by hampshireandy »

Ive just found another way to counteract the right drift, put a passenger next to the pilot, although make sure they weigh less than the pilot! :D

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Sometimes I wonder if individuals have set up null zones on their controls to try and force their aircraft to fly hands of in an unrealistic way. If you have a null zone set up or have reduced axis sensitivity, you may be making it more difficult for yourself to fly this realistic model.

A null zone or reduced sensitivity will require one to hold a larger deflection on their stick or yoke to correct. A null zone may also make it impossible to make the small input required to correct thus forcing one to oscillate back and forth and generally go mad. :lol:

There have been several discussions on this issue of roll, so I studied the position of my yoke during cruise on several real flights and was surprised to find that I was holding in a slight right bank with a very gentle control pressure.

Someone suggested thoughi can't remember who that it is much like driving a car. You can stay hands off for to long and you must make lots of tiny corrections to keep going on a straight line. Aircraft are no different.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

I'm an autopilot abuser :shock: I will use the AP as much as possible if I am going to fly for any serious length of time....but like Oracle, I almost always have a little rudder or aileron pressure applied when hand flying :D

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Oracle427 wrote:Sometimes I wonder if individuals have set up null zones on their controls to try and force their aircraft to fly hands of in an unrealistic way. If you have a null zone set up or have reduced axis sensitivity, you may be making it more difficult for yourself to fly this realistic model.

A null zone or reduced sensitivity will require one to hold a larger deflection on their stick or yoke to correct. A null zone may also make it impossible to make the small input required to correct thus forcing one to oscillate back and forth and generally go mad. :lol:

There have been several discussions on this issue of roll, so I studied the position of my yoke during cruise on several real flights and was surprised to find that I was holding in a slight right bank with a very gentle control pressure.

Someone suggested thoughi can't remember who that it is much like driving a car. You can stay hands off for to long and you must make lots of tiny corrections to keep going on a straight line. Aircraft are no different.
If you're a cheapskate like me, you need to start putting in a large deadzone after a while as the crap joystick starts building up lots of play in the springs and noise in the sensors.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”