Brakes stuck?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Brakes stuck?

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Hi all,

Firstly, love this aircraft, it's the first payware aircraft I've purchased and it's blown my expectations clear out of the water. I can see why people always talk about payware aircraft now, definitely a bargain for $50 I rekon. :D

I've only had a few hours up in the 172 since I bought it a couple of weeks ago (and no real world experience in flying one), but every now and again I encounter what I interpret to be the brakes sticking. After startup when I release the brakes and want to start to taxi, it's like the brakes are frozen and the aircraft won't move until it's near full throttle. Then it makes a huge lurch forward and there's no worries from then on. After it happened the first time, I thought that I may've left the wheel chocks in place, but they're off from the control panel (shift-2) and also not visible from the outside views.

Nothing is reported as damaged from the hanger and the brakes seem fine every other time. Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or don't have set up correctly?

Cheerio,

Rob

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Brakes stuck?

Post by Caldemeyn »

Updated?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Rob,

welcome to the world of cutting edge, industry leading professional simulation,... that we also just happen to offer to the home user :)

You will want to update to the latest version here if you havnt already;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=41279

It adds a bunch and updates all sorts of things.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Ah ha, thanks guys, I'm embarrassed to say that could be it. I checked for updates but have obviously miss-read the date stamp on the installer as it's different to the date on the update....... :oops:

I will have a crack once I land again, currently chugging along halfway between Mount Hotham and Melbourne, Aus.

Cheers.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Rob,

please note that ALL A2A-aircrafts you purchase NEED to be updated as they are plain 1.0 in the store. The actual 7/15-update is an automatic updater that will update every accusim-aircraft you own, but definitely needs to be executed every time you install any accusim-plane.

Have fun :D

Greets,
Marc

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

Okie dokie, thanks heaps guys (don't I feel like a nOOb :lol: ). I had thought it was updated because it was displaying some of the signs of the updates. Obviously I should've just run the updater anyway haha.

Had a quick fly last night after the update and it feels a fair bit different and couldn't replicate the 'frozen brakes' issue, I'll have another crack next week or so when I get some spare time.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Curious, are you running P3D or FSX?

I've noticed some re-surfacing of certain nefarious ground friction issues on all my A2A aircraft since updating my P3D to 2.3, including the lurching you describe, though it may be entirely coincidental.

In any case, yes, A2A planes are pretty much the cream of the crop in terms of immersion and flight characteristics for GA and old military aircraft they've produced thanks to Accusim. Really, nothing else comes close, at least in this particular category of payware FSX aircraft. You've chosen wisely.

Edit: So, I was fooling around aimlessly, reinstalling things, hoping I could get to the bottom of this problem, since it was showing up with all my Accusim aircraft. It was most egregious in the P-51 so that's what I used to do all my testing. What I noticed is that this particular instance seems to involve some sort of hiccup in how thrust was being handled in the sim. A lot of the following is just kind of anecdotal exploration into the guts of how Accusim seems to interact with FSX (from the subjective perspective of someone who can't actually see the code), so for the solution that finally worked for me, feel free to skip to the end.

I was sitting on the ramp in the P-51, and tried to find how much power it took to get rolling. It seemed to be about 1300RPM. The aircraft would start to creep forward as the brakes came off, and then dramatically lurch into motion, then proceeded to accelerate very gently. So I applied the brakes and stopped, not touching the throttle. Sitting in the cockpit view the whole time, the sound of the engine was the constant drone of 1300RPM.

However, sitting there with the brakes applied, I switched to the external view, and noticed the engine was blaring as if it were running at a much higher power setting. Odd. I hadn't touched the throttle, and the cockpit reveals I'm still at 1300RPM. I switched back to the external view, and let off the brakes. Again the aircraft lurched, but then, the sound of the engine in the external view dropped off and produced the idling sound as the aircraft settled into a gentle taxi. I applied the brakes, came to a stop, and once again the sound in external view revved up to something that did not correlate at all to the power setting: The whole time I had not touched the throttle.

Now, I know that Accusim uses its own system to handle sound within the cockpit, and so at 1300RPM, that's exactly what I heard. However, the external view is entirely stock FSX, and unlike the cockpit, the sound played in external view seems to correlate not directly to the power setting, but the amount of thrust Accusim is commanding FSX to put out. I had somewhat noticed this in all instances where I made sudden power changes: the apparent acceleration of the aircraft (eyeballing the red FSX airspeed readout) did not correlate with the sound of the engine in the interior, but rather the sound produced when in an external view.

My solution: tl;dr, what I ended up doing pretty much randomly was run the Simconnect.msi included in the P3D redist folder. I fired up P3D and the lurching was gone in the P-51, the Cherokee, and yes, the 172. Running the above test, the anomalous engine sounds in external view were gone. The engine would sound as if it were idling the whole time when set to 1300RPM, and would smoothly creep into motion as expected when the brakes were released. Additionally, my issues with getting stuck when on rough surfaces (even at max power) disappeared as well. Don't know if this will work for you, but presumably it can't hurt to try.

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

I probably should've said I was using FSX in my original post hey. lol.

Sounds like a similar thing to what I was experiencing, but it wasn't with every takeoff, it was maybe 2/5 times that it would happen. I never noticed the engine sound different from the exterior views when I was looking for the wheel chocks.

I've had a couple of flights since the update and it appears to have fixed itself.

Must be a bit frustrating for developers with the flight sim community, you're expected to build a single product that works with so many different systems in so many configurations. Every time I load the 172 I'm amazed at the work done by A2A and it doesn't come at a massive framerate hit. Even on my what's probably classed as a low-mid end system, the 172 still doesn't take up any more resources than stock.

Now I've just gotta learn how to make my repaints come out sharp and not as blurry, much more reading to do. :D

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Yeah, that's kind of a standard thing when troubleshooting these days. FSX or P3D? They're effectively the same thing but P3D has been developed further and changes have been made...sometimes enough to make things not work right.

I also discovered my solution in the previous post is hogwash, since yes, it seems to happen inconsistently. I had called it solved because I fired up the sim and after starting the plane, it started rolling just fine. But after doing some loops in the pattern, on the same runway, the issue came up again. I really can't pinpoint anything that triggers it, except that MAYBE it seems more likely to crop up if you don't follow the recommended loading procedure: Load the sim with a default aircraft/scenario, load your Accusim aircraft, then go where you want with the map or airport selection.

IE, loading from a scenario, or loading multiple different Accusim aircraft during the same session, etc. I'm a bad boy and usually load from scenarios, since I want my aircraft at the time and place where I left them, and really it doesn't seem to definitively cause any noticeable problems, but you never know.

As for repaints, I know pretty much nothing, except that when (amateurishly) modifying finished .dds files in Gimp, BC3/DTX5 compression ends up giving the same filesize as I started with, and doesn't seem to result in any noticeable quality loss. So take that for what it's worth. :P

LucasDziesinski
Airman Basic

Post by LucasDziesinski »

I have experienced the same issue in P3D with the B377. While I know the 377 isn't officially supported in P3D, the problem seems to be a general one across multiple A2A aircraft in P3D. I have tried the solutions in multiple threads on this forum. Any updates on this "brake stuck" issue?

Lucas

FuzzyDropbear
Airman

Post by FuzzyDropbear »

All I did was apply the update (in FSX) and I haven't been able to recreate the issue. Granted that lately I've only had 2 hours flight time, but I would've come across the issue again if it was happening as it was pre-update.

LucasDziesinski
Airman Basic

FuzzyDropbear wrote:All I did was apply the update (in FSX) and I haven't been able to recreate the issue. Granted that lately I've only had 2 hours flight time, but I would've come across the issue again if it was happening as it was pre-update.
Thanks for your reply and the info! I'll continue to troubleshoot and see if I can find a solution.

Lucas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Please remember to load a default aircraft and default
Flight prior to loading and also check your settings are as stated in the manual with the addition of making sure you controller is at 100% sensitivity. Remember also that in MSFS you can have your breaks on and NOT trigger the red brakes message as that only pops up after a bit (from the top of my head 12-20% but cannot remember for sure).

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucasDziesinski
Airman Basic

Lewis - A2A wrote:Please remember to load a default aircraft and default
Flight prior to loading and also check your settings are as stated in the manual with the addition of making sure you controller is at 100% sensitivity. Remember also that in MSFS you can have your breaks on and NOT trigger the red brakes message as that only pops up after a bit (from the top of my head 12-20% but cannot remember for sure).
Thank you for your reply. I have ensured this was true, but the problem persists. It appears that if I add a significant amount of power >55 MP I am able to hurdle over an invisible "bump" and this fixes the issue.

Lucas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Have you run the latest Accu-sim updater and also have you tried having none of your hardware plugged in to rule out the hardware?

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”