Oh Ohhh I broke my C-172 :-0

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
RedRavenSounds
Airman

Oh Ohhh I broke my C-172 :-0

Post by RedRavenSounds »

Ohhh dear... I have been virtually chewed out by my virtual A&P! I gummed up the engine so badly that I needed an overhaul after all of about three hours on the Hobbs! :shock:

I have been chewed out for fouled plugs once already too.

And NO SNIDE comments about female aviators! :?

But when I got in did my preflight (Cold and dark parked at KRNT) Then thinking all was well, I turned on the bat and the avionics, checked ATIS set the altimeter, shut down the avionics bus (per my 172 check list).

Stay with me here - I primed her for a few seconds, pulled the mixture out a bit, cracked the throttle, kicked the tires and lit the fires ---uhhhh well.... I could barely get the engine started it sounded like I had killed it, and I had visions of virtual dollars floating away (money being one of the four forces acting on an aircraft). So embarrassed! It was smoking, (both blue and black smoke) and the whole aircraft was shuddering, wheezing, sneezing and gasping like a JN-4 Jenny that hadn't been run since it was new!

I was hoping no one on the Renton ramp saw this catastrophe - a beautiful new airplane with an engine that didn't have enough thrust left to move, let alone taxi! So - pulled the mixture to full lean, turned off the key, shut down the bat/alt and put the thing out of its wheezing misery - it wanted to die and certainly not fly, and I'm not one to argue.

I got it into the hangar and the compression test on number 4 was uhhh zilch! So I had to not only virtually pay the virtual A&P for a rebuild, he scolded me on the squawk sheet! Didn't say what he had to do, just that it was all fouled from running too rich. It was a good thing that Heidi wasn't with me in the right seat or she would have laughed at me too! (Hint to A2A, suggest snide comments and snickering suppressed laughter be added to the dialog) (Side question - how do I import Heidi into the C-172 Accu-Sim from the J-3 Cub AccuSim?)

This is why I don't own my own aircraft, but rent, 172's. But I have to say, I have NEVER gummed an engine up like that in the real world! Nor been chewed out by an A&P Honest! No really I haven't!! Seriously no. Uhhh uhhh!

Lesson's learned - keep it a little lean after start and during warm up and taxi - If you don't baaad things happen - and with A2A, it doesn't let you just go oopsy oh well - and not only will you will get comments on the squawk sheet and the virtual FBO send you a bill but - virtual people on the ramp will laugh at you and gag on the smoke your poor engine is creating (and probably leaking on the ramp). :lol:

flaminghotsauce
Senior Airman

Re: Oh Ohhh I broke my C-172 :-0

Post by flaminghotsauce »

Heh. Good write up.

I had a little event yesterday. I wanted to do a little flight with my grandson on my lap, so I fired up FSX. The Saitek gear is acting wonky with my interplay between FSX and P3D and the stack decided not to wake properly. This lead to....

.... a sudden recognition that the throttle was indeed cracked open a bit too far. When the sim noticed the throttle position and fired up. I lurched forward and hit a building. My default flight starts between a row of hangars, as real to life as I can get it. Having hit the building, the sim restarted and I taxied out, and took off. One should always, ALWAYS do a preflight....

.... because I could not hold the airplane level without almost full right aileron. My mind already fixated on the wonky Saitek behavior earlier, I failed to even consider that it was equipment damage. As I returned to the airport, as in, an emergency return, I got close enough to the airport that I had it made, and introduced a notch of flaps into this disaster....

..... that deployed asymetrically apparently. I immediately spun it into the ground. I guess I lived to tell the tale, as I soon found myself overhauling the entire airplane. Lucky I'm only responsible for the insurance premium, eh?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

The joys of accu-sim :D Maybe some fine wire plugs are in order? I just had a partial pitot blockage even though it didn't show before the flight, it did after :twisted: Not enough to disrupt the ASI during the flight, but enough for a scolding :D

RedRavenSounds
Airman

Post by RedRavenSounds »

I almost split a gut reading your post! Thank goodness this is a simulation! - otherwise you would have shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisible! :mrgreen:

Lets see, you hit a building... well that would have saved your fanny from the other ooopsies - more than likely. Asymetric flaps - thats a doozy! As you were on an emergency final, you augured in and immediately ran out of altitude (you no doubt had LOTS of vertical component airspeed) and you had no time to run out of ideas Owttch!!.

A2A lets you happily bend your airplane or do horrible things to the engine - but its the old payback thing. The only difference is that you don't owe your next 2 paychecks to the FBO and you don't earn your angels wings 8)

Years ago, my flight instructor at Plymouth Mettatal (near Detroit where I soloed) said - Cindy, you always have a choice - you can do a thorough preflight on the ground, or try to fix it in the air - take your pick. I remember thinking - well that makes sense (duh) so I always always do a meticulous pre-flight - that includes looking up under the dash. Why add this additional step you might ask?

One time getting ready to fly, I found some hornets that had gotten into the aircraft (window was left open a crack) I did my Eeeeek! bee dance and we got the bees out - but imagine if I had not looked up under there, pre-flighted, took off and had some cranky hornets to deal with!

Imagine this conversation:
Me: North Las Vegas tower this is Cessna 2256CK .... I got bees!
Tower: 2256CK, Tower roger, Altimeter 2992, winds calm - uhhhh sorry, you are number 2 to land, runway 25 follow the Cherokee on base, ........and you will just have to hold it till you land.
Me: No no! not PEE ..... BEES I have Bees! Buzzy things that sting! What am I gonna do!!?
Tower: 56CK Talk nice to them and follow the Cherokee turning final

A2A has a serious penchant for details, a love of flying, and a seriously wicked sense of humor (guys - please don't program virtual bees and bugs inside the aircraft ok? ) I promise thorough pre-flights - I don't like bugs, and I really don't like bee bugs!
Last edited by RedRavenSounds on 02 Sep 2014, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

RedRavenSounds
Airman

Post by RedRavenSounds »

taildraggin68 wrote:The joys of accu-sim :D Maybe some fine wire plugs are in order? I just had a partial pitot blockage even though it didn't show before the flight, it did after :twisted: Not enough to disrupt the ASI during the flight, but enough for a scolding :D
Pitot blockage? Please don't tell me a2a has programmed bugs! (See my post on the bee scenario) :)

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

:twisted: :roll: That darned mechanic cleared it, so I did not get to see if there was a visual in the walk around so I presume I just need to pay more attention :oops: and yes the pictures in the preflight do change when something is afoul 8)

RedRavenSounds
Airman

Post by RedRavenSounds »

taildraggin68 wrote::twisted: :roll: That darned mechanic cleared it, so I did not get to see if there was a visual in the walk around so I presume I just need to pay more attention :oops: and yes the pictures in the preflight do change when something is afoul 8)
Darn! I check the pitot tube for obstructions - but I keep burning my lips!!! :mrgreen:

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

:shock: :lol:

flaminghotsauce
Senior Airman

Post by flaminghotsauce »

OMG! RedRaven! LOL!

My personal ridiculous-osity is a hold over from flying other aircraft besides the A2A. Crash 'em, and they reload in perfect condition. I should know better, as I've done this stupid trick before. I tried to land on Navy Pier in Chicago, which isn't land-able scenery, as I discovered. Upon the reload, the A2A appeared back in the air with the props BENT, although I couldn't tell while what was left of the engine was still running. I crashed bad that day too. Total rebuild then as well. So I should have known. Just being dense, and also enjoying the poor outcome of "fixation" that I studied so much about. Way back then.

Bees, oh my. . . . :|

RedRavenSounds
Airman

Post by RedRavenSounds »

flaminghotsauce wrote:OMG! RedRaven! LOL!

My personal ridiculous-osity is a hold over from flying other aircraft besides the A2A. Crash 'em, and they reload in perfect condition. I should know better, as I've done this stupid trick before. I tried to land on Navy Pier in Chicago, which isn't land-able scenery, as I discovered. Upon the reload, the A2A appeared back in the air with the props BENT, although I couldn't tell while what was left of the engine was still running. I crashed bad that day too. Total rebuild then as well. So I should have known. Just being dense, and also enjoying the poor outcome of "fixation" that I studied so much about. Way back then.

Yup, no cheating with A2A - you prang it, you pay the consequences :shock: I set up with a really nasty gusting cross wind a little while ago - crabbing like crazy and kept wondering where the runway was! Oh there it is! about 5 feet below me! The one thing with virtual is in an actual aircraft your vision isn't as restricted. I run three monitors and wish I could spread across all three - My Nvidia GPU drives two and I drive a third through a USB adapter. Anyway.... Stall horn is squealing like I stuck a fork in it! - One wheel crunches in, then the other slams down - h-a-r-d! I "got out" after I parked and everything looks to be ok - I think... I hope :oops: (again)

Fulcrum
Airman

Post by Fulcrum »

RedRavenSounds wrote:
flaminghotsauce wrote:OMG! RedRaven! LOL!

Yup, no cheating with A2A - you prang it, you pay the consequences :shock: I set up with a really nasty gusting cross wind a little while ago - crabbing like crazy and kept wondering where the runway was! Oh there it is! about 5 feet below me! The one thing with virtual is in an actual aircraft your vision isn't as restricted. I run three monitors and wish I could spread across all three - My Nvidia GPU drives two and I drive a third through a USB adapter. Anyway.... Stall horn is squealing like I stuck a fork in it! - One wheel crunches in, then the other slams down - h-a-r-d! I "got out" after I parked and everything looks to be ok - I think... I hope :oops: (again)
Don't worry about the landing gear they're tough little suckers. Obviously don't go lawn darting it in ;). A few nights ago on a commercial cross country I rounded out too early and touched the pavement a little harder than usual in a Twin Star, no damage what so ever. When I was doing my C172 work I had my fair share of 'toxic relationships' with the ground as my instructor put it :roll:. I think in the A2A 172 my worst experience was just fouling my spark plugs and killing my battery after too many failed starts. I do have to give credit to the A2A guys. A friend and I took up our 172's and departed IFR from a small little airport on the coast of Washington. When we flew to our destination we couldn't shoot the RNAV in due to minimums. We diverted to the next airport and it was socked in as well. I had to at that point pull out my real world POH (granted it's an S model but it's the same engine) and had to do some number crunching with my ASA CX2 and I diverted all the way into Northern Cali. Landed on the LOC approach and just as I was shutting down the weather dipped below minimums. So I have to say accu-sim is amazing just in it's way of following the numbers. Then again Vatsim ATC wasn't happy with us being in the air for two and a half hours.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”