Wooden Prop?

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Alky
Senior Airman

Wooden Prop?

Post by Alky »

So I'm not a RL pilot and I've spent a grand total of 1/2 hour in a Single engine Cessna something or other 35 years ago, so my experience is a bit limited. I was wondering if a wooden prop on a Cessna 172 would be realistic or not. I don't know what the technical aspects would be regarding any different materials being used for a prop. I decided to make one for my 172 just for my viewing pleasure but wondered if it could be possible in real life?

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: Wooden Prop?

Post by Great Ozzie »

Well... the prop needs to either be part of the airplane's Type Certificate or a prop made where there is an STC available (supplemental type certificate). Otherwise... it is going to be one very expensive proposition going thru a one-off process (if even do-able).

Sensenich has a wood prop division... if you go to their Application Guides, you can download from there a Certified Wood Aircraft Propeller Application Guide (pdf) that lists eligible aircraft make & models.

You can find on there types like the J3 Cub and even the Cessna 170...
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

No RW experience either, but I understood wood props to dislike rain, they can be damaged if you fly in it!
Allan

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

Thanks for your input Rob & Allen. From what I read on the real life applications, they can be used on aircraft that meet the specs, horsepower-wise etc. So in my virtual world, I guess my 172 meets the requirements for a type certificate! :D 8)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, as Rob said, in principle one should not install anything but what up-to-date parts catalog says, to a type certified airplane. For Cessna 172R, that means McCauley 1C235/LFA7570 propeller assembly. Anything other than that would require any of the following:

• implementation of an STC, for which the airplane is eligible, that describes the installation of other equipment
• incorporating a factory modification, if such was available (Cessna publishes these under Service Bulletins and Modification Kits/Service Kits from time to time)
• designing and getting an approval for one-off modification by yourself.

Anyways, as Rob pointed out, Sensenich has been manufacturing wooden propellers, but from their application guide you can't find the Cessna 172. Another manufacturer that sells ready STCs is MT Propeller from Germany. Their propellers are made of 'natural composite' as they call it, it is kind of wood laminate with stainless steel erosion strips and some kind of coating, which is some kind of epoxy I think. So they are not classical wooden propellers per se but similar to many warbird propellers, and give no proper wooden look. Note that the one I linked into is also a constant speed unit with electrical actuating.

But luckily, in virtual world we may do what we wish, and getting one-off modification is just a matter of doing it! :)

-Esa

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Put about 3000 hours in my logbook behind a Sensenich prop attached to Continental W670 on a 1929 Travel Air 4000, doing rides near San Diego. We replaced it once (the old one hangs in my son's living room), and then switched to a Hamilton-Standard ground adjustable for another 4000. The difference was startling...wood prop was smooth as butter. Metal very harsh, transmitted all the vibration, but easier to maintain albeit 5x the price. Both props are Type certificated for the Travel Air, to echo previous comments.

http://www.tomharnish.com/writing/aviat ... -of-flying

Blue skies and tailwinds

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”