Trimming the Cessna

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Matt_B_1978
Airman

Trimming the Cessna

Post by Matt_B_1978 »

I'm finding it to be quite a slow process to move the trim wheel up or down, meaning it takes quite some time to have the aircraft properly trimmed. Is there a way it can be changed to adjust the trim a bit quicker?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Trimming the Cessna

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

This can depend on your controller. What are you using for trim and how have you mapped the control?

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Matt_B_1978
Airman

Post by Matt_B_1978 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

This can depend on your controller. What are you using for trim and how have you mapped the control?

Thanks,
Lewis
I'm using the Saitek X52 with default profile and/or the mouse. Either way, it's the same slow speed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Matt,

How have you mapped the control? Default or FSUIPC or the included A2A joystick config tool etc etc.

Thanks,
Lewis

Matt_B_1978
Airman

Post by Matt_B_1978 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello Matt,

How have you mapped the control? Default or FSUIPC or the included A2A joystick config tool etc etc.

Thanks,
Lewis
Default...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Give the A2A input configuration a try.

Thanks,
Lewis

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Also remember the trim is to aid flight not dictate it. Many simmers seem to be trying to use it as an extra flight control and it shouldn't be used this way. For 99% of the time you are going to be using small amounts to aid flight but all control movement should be done with the normal flight controls, yoke, rudder.

Thanks,
Lewis

Matt_B_1978
Airman

Post by Matt_B_1978 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Also remember the trim is to aid flight not dictate it. Many simmers seem to be trying to use it as an extra flight control and it shouldn't be used this way. For 99% of the time you are going to be using small amounts to aid flight but all control movement should be done with the normal flight controls, yoke, rudder.

Thanks,
Lewis
Yes, I realise that as I've flown the real C172. However despite confirming trim set to the takeoff level before departing, the nose rockets skyward once airborne - without extra weight in the rear, only two pilots. It takes a lot of down trim before I can take my hand off the stick to let it maintain a proper attitude.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Yes this is correct for the 172R, you will want to set trim for takeoff but always fly with the yoke and with experience change the takeoff trim setting slightly to suit your flying. The trim takeoff setting will of course only work truly under 1
Condition with weight balance
and power. The marks are guides but not the be all end all's as many simmers seem to
view them.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Matt_B_1978 wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:Also remember the trim is to aid flight not dictate it. Many simmers seem to be trying to use it as an extra flight control and it shouldn't be used this way. For 99% of the time you are going to be using small amounts to aid flight but all control movement should be done with the normal flight controls, yoke, rudder.

Thanks,
Lewis
Yes, I realise that as I've flown the real C172. However despite confirming trim set to the takeoff level before departing, the nose rockets skyward once airborne - without extra weight in the rear, only two pilots. It takes a lot of down trim before I can take my hand off the stick to let it maintain a proper attitude.
Try looking at takeoff trim this way;

Putting the trim at the neutral mark or slightly aft of the neutral mark before takeoff sets the trim in a "safe range" that will allow you control of the aircraft WITH THE YOKE regardless of how the aircraft is loaded. This AS LONG AS YOU ARE LOADED SAFELY WITHIN THE CG ENVELOPE !!!
Note that doing this does NOT guarantee the trim will be set at the "perfect" setting for that takeoff. This due to the wide range available within the safe area. You might be slightly nose heavy or tail heavy at rotation. The main point here is that the YOKE has the authority to establish your climb attitude and maintain it.
AFTER establishing the climb attitude with the YOKE and HOLDING THAT ATTITUDE, you can THEN retrim the airplane to a more neutralized stable condition that releases yoke pressure.
Bottom line; you will seldom have the trim perfectly set on any given takeoff where you don't have to apply yoke pressure against the trim setting and re-trim after you rotate. This is entirely normal and should be expected.
DON'T FLY THE AIRCRAFT WITH TRIM !!! Fly with the main controls, establish attitude.....THEN do your trimming.
Dudley Henriques
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”