Amazing aircraft

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Amazing aircraft

Post by Shalomar »

I decided to recreate a flight of N1099U from info on FlightAware. This is a Cessna based near me that almost always files IFR and occasionally does two or so hour hops. This leg was from KLNS to KALB.

The first surprise was at the payload manager. I had my usual payload of 230 lb pilot (I am 6'5") and 135 lb Heidi and Sarah. 85 lb baggage and 7.8 quarts of oil. I loaded up 17 gallons per side and weight was in the red. I had to back off to 16 gallons per side.

I have flown with that load and fuel many times before so I figure either payload changed with the update or useful load is partly dependent on temperature.

I set up Active sky next historical weather to the right date and time then did a thorough preflight. Since this was a longer hop I decided to pop into the hangar afterwards.

The only gripe was slightly fouled plugs and I elected to try to clear them by the pilot method before paying the mechanic.

The left mag was the worst, but 2000 RPM then leaning mixture cleared the mags within two minutes.

I plugged the real world flight plan into my trusty RXP 430 then consigned myself to the wild blue yonder.

There were a lot of clouds at my altitude of 7000'.

About 45 minutes into the flight I had a sudden drop of RPM. My first instinct was to disengage the autopilot. Then I richened the mixture which seemed to help. Through a combination of throttle and mixture adjustments I was able to achieve the
same RPM as I had before but I was now burning 8 gph instead of the 7 before. Increased fuel consumption can be a sign of impending fire so it was time to think.

All my other gauges were normal so my analysis was clogged fuel filter. I decided to continue to my destination while closely monitoring for any further increase in GPH.

I competed the flight and checked with the mechanic. My air filter was Yellow.

At first I wondered how the heck an air filter can clog at 7000 feet but then I remembered all those dry; not rain clouds I had passed through.

Great job A2A!!!

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Amazing aircraft

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great report Donald, glad you are enjoying the sim so much

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”