Cant turn hardly while taxiing

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Cant turn hardly while taxiing

Post by KloudKruiser »

Dont know if thats how this model is in real life as I have no time in one, but whilst taxing, turning with my Saitek Cessna rudder pedals is an exercise in frustration. The Cherokee is no problem, all my other A2A aircraft are no problem, my PMDG heavies no problem, my Realair aircraft no problem. Its just this single A2A Cessna. Before the update yesterday the only way I could turn onto runway 19R and line up at KSNA for instance was with a combination of turning with differential braking. Now with the new update even the differential braking is barely doing anything. I cant turn onto the runway and line up without overshooting it. Is there a setting I can adjust in the aircraft.cfg to make the rudders more sensitive on this Cessna? I do have fsuipc, but I have never messed with, nor needed to mess with its controller options. I own every high quality payware aircraft ever made for FSX and my Saitek Cessna Yoke, TPM, trim wheel, and rudder pedals have worked flawless with every one of them using just the stock FSX controller drivers, every one except the A2A Cessna 172. I love A2A, its products, and its philosophy, but I've all but shelved the 172 because of the turning while taxiing issue. Surely there must be a setting in the .cfg I can mess with no?

Chris Strobel
Irvine, CA
www.flightdeck1.com

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cant turn hardly while taxiing

Post by taildraggin68 »

The cessna has differential braking for steering and the cherokee direct linkage for steering.......try toe brakes in conjunction with rudder for cessna, just remember cessna has springs so when you center the rudder you will have to tap toe brakes to initiate tighter turn :D

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

taildraggin68 wrote:The cessna has differential braking for steering and the cherokee direct linkage for steering.......try toe brakes in conjunction with rudder for cessna, just remember cessna has springs so when you center the rudder you will have to tap toe brakes to initiate tighter turn :D
Yeah I've been using the combination of differential braking with toe brakes and turning with the rudder, but after the update yesterday the toe brakes barely work. I'll mess with it some more tonight to see if maybe there were some variables with wind at SNA that were making things difficult. Ive been so Cherokee addicted that I think I'm starting to burn out on it a bit, so playing with the Cessna will be a good break. So are these old 172's that hard to turn in real life? Ive only been a passenger in one. Thanks!

Chris Strobel
Irvine, CA
www.flightdeck1.com

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

The last one I was in was in 1986 and no it was not difficult to turn at all....that being said, the issue with the newest update I don't have, but I did do a recalibration of my controls due to the throttle change in the update. That may have helped. It does turn just a bit slower by rudder alone, but toe brakes spin it around pretty quick for me. For reference though, in the actual aircraft, I would keep my feet just a tad higher on the rudder pedals when taxiing in order to put slight pressure on the toe brakes as I pushed the rudder pedals. Maybe that will give you a visual for your settings :D (and yes once airborne, feet back down away from the brakes so as not to land with locked wheels :shock: )

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

taildraggin68 wrote:The last one I was in was in 1986 and no it was not difficult to turn at all....that being said, the issue with the newest update I don't have, but I did do a recalibration of my controls due to the throttle change in the update. That may have helped. It does turn just a bit slower by rudder alone, but toe brakes spin it around pretty quick for me. For reference though, in the actual aircraft, I would keep my feet just a tad higher on the rudder pedals when taxiing in order to put slight pressure on the toe brakes as I pushed the rudder pedals. Maybe that will give you a visual for your settings :D (and yes once airborne, feet back down away from the brakes so as not to land with locked wheels :shock: )
Recalibration of controls.....hmmmm.......maybe I should try that, whats the procedure for doing so if you dont mind me asking.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

I just use the saitek software and run the calibration through there or go through fsx and under controllers in settings, pull up calibration under properties I believe and make sure everything is doing right...just to make sure the null zones or sensitivity didn't change any. If you use FSUIPC(I don't) I think you can calibrate through there as well :D

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

taildraggin68 wrote:I just use the saitek software and run the calibration through there or go through fsx and under controllers in settings, pull up calibration under properties I believe and make sure everything is doing right...just to make sure the null zones or sensitivity didn't change any. If you use FSUIPC(I don't) I think you can calibrate through there as well :D
Ahh ok just your typical calibration.....roger that. I thought there was some special A2A calibration tool I needed to run or something. Thanks for all your help tail.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

That's all I did anyway :D And you're quite welcome. Good luck, A2A managed to breathe some new life in to the 172 I feel. Even the starting seems to be closer to the cherokee :shock: so much so that I now have to flip a coin to choose which one I'm going to fly.

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

Yeah Cherokee or Cessna, or Cub, or P-51, or P-47, or B-17, or COTS, they are all really great. A2A aircraft are always an instant buy when they come out for me. Anyway I turned the null zone on my pedals down to zero and now I can turn much better. Which pedal set are you using there tail?
taildraggin68 wrote:That's all I did anyway :D And you're quite welcome. Good luck, A2A managed to breathe some new life in to the 172 I feel. Even the starting seems to be closer to the cherokee :shock: so much so that I now have to flip a coin to choose which one I'm going to fly.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

:shock: Pedal Set?? I'm using the Fred Flinstone Foot Dragger model :D I'm using nothing but a Saitek ST290 Pro Joystick with twist rudder, fire button set for brakes, trim and flaps set to buttons, throttle to stick, and a whole lot of creative mouse usage :D One day soon I hope to have a better set up but if I can work it out I am eyeing a couple of real life accusim models first.

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

Hahahah this makes me remember my first real life cessna 182 flight, i ran of the taxiway :oops:

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”